Burmese star and sulcata FOOD help

braige thomas

Location (City and/or State)
Knoxville TENNESSEE
So I just got 2 burmese stars and I have 1 sulcata can anyone tell me where to get cheap variety food the Mulberry leaves hay and stuff like that that isn't expensive like the pet store stuff
Also what I can mix in I know there's alot of answers but want to hear it from the tortoise experts and also on where to get it most of the stuff I find is like buying cypress mulch at the pets store vs huge bag at Lowes ones is 20$ ans one is 4 for 4x the mulch so stuff like that wanted to see if you guys new the plug on the cheap tortoise food Thank you any tips will be appreciated

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi,
I'm not in the US and I don't know if you've seen this thread yet but you may find a food list here

This caresheet may also help

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So I just got 2 burmese stars and I have 1 sulcata can anyone tell me where to get cheap variety food the Mulberry leaves hay and stuff like that that isn't expensive like the pet store stuff
Also what I can mix in I know there's alot of answers but want to hear it from the tortoise experts and also on where to get it most of the stuff I find is like buying cypress mulch at the pets store vs huge bag at Lowes ones is 20$ ans one is 4 for 4x the mulch so stuff like that wanted to see if you guys new the plug on the cheap tortoise food Thank you any tips will be appreciated
Grow your own, or scavenge from safe areas.

The burms will never be on hay, but the sulcata can start on dry hay when it passes around 12 inches.

Burms also like grasses, but it has to be soft tender freshly sprouted grasses for them. They don't do well with coarse mature grass like an adult sulcata.

Tortoises should never be housed in pairs, so I hope the burms are in separate enclosures. Or add another one or two to make a small group instead of a pair. Also, species should should never be mixed.

Lots of food ideas here: