Burmese star bubbly nose

braige thomas

Location (City and/or State)
Knoxville TENNESSEE
Hello my burmese star tortise just started blowing bubbles from its nose like it's getting sick I know that's a sysmptom of sickness please help what can I do he still eating and he is the most active and clearly growing bigger out of my pair so it surprises me he is the one who is sick he still is nit acting sick but bubbly thank you

Attachments

• Snapchat-822738491.jpg
    Snapchat-822738491.jpg
    610.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Snapchat-1668098603.jpg
    Snapchat-1668098603.jpg
    402.5 KB · Views: 4

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
First do not house them in pairs if you are.
Second, we need to know everything you use for heating and lighting?
Diet, temps? Humidity? Etc.

braige thomas

Knoxville TENNESSEE
First do not house them in pairs if you are.
Second, we need to know everything you use for heating and lighting?
Diet, temps? Humidity? Etc.
Humidity in 80% to 100% usually 80 90 ish I use a 100 watt heat bulb gets about 95 100 on the ground and keeps the tank around 81 to 85 degrees diet is prickly pear cactus sometimes try to mix spring mix cilantro today mostly spring mix try to switch it mustard greens I have mazuri to but they won't eat it my uv light is a big light bar but also take them outside someday to get real sun use Calicium powder couple times a week also they are a pair for now just got a new house eith land so been busy but am going to get another one soon

braige thomas

Knoxville TENNESSEE
I usually leave on my sulcatas heater lamp but I've switched it up to thrm.to keep it warmer cause other posts over seen said warm bath and keep toasty but I keep my house like 68 69 at night it went down to 66 the other night but In the tank probably a little higher so 70 ? Not really sure I soak them everyday have missed mabye 1 ir 2 days since I got them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I usually leave on my sulcatas heater lamp but I've switched it up to thrm.to keep it warmer cause other posts over seen said warm bath and keep toasty but I keep my house like 68 69 at night it went down to 66 the other night but In the tank probably a little higher so 70 ? Not really sure I soak them everyday have missed mabye 1 ir 2 days since I got them.
The night temp should never drop below 80. The bubbles are your early warming sign. Correct this problem immediately. Tonight. You need a CHE set on a thermostat to maintain ambient above 80 at all times, and the ambient in the whole enclosure should be rising to the low 90s each day. Do NOT let the temp drop below 80 again tonight. Put the whole enclosure in a bathroom with the door closed and a space heater if needed.

They also need to be separated ASAP because the stress of living as a pair can also weaken the immune system and make it easier for them to get sick. If you get another one, it will need to be quarantined for several months.

They need to be in closed chambers.

Please read this and look for the heating/lighting breakdown near the bottom along with the star tortoise care sheet. You are missing some elements.

braige thomas

Knoxville TENNESSEE
The night temp should never drop below 80. The bubbles are your early warming sign. Correct this problem immediately. Tonight. You need a CHE set on a thermostat to maintain ambient above 80 at all times, and the ambient in the whole enclosure should be rising to the low 90s each day. Do NOT let the temp drop below 80 again tonight. Put the whole enclosure in a bathroom with the door closed and a space heater if needed.

They also need to be separated ASAP because the stress of living as a pair can also weaken the immune system and make it easier for them to get sick. If you get another one, it will need to be quarantined for several months.

Please read this and look for the heating/lighting breakdown near the bottom along with the star tortoise care sheet. You are missing some elements.
if I have to quarantine the other tortise what can I do expect separate them cause I don't have another 2 tanks to be able to set up you know I mean there mostly fine toghter I think is when they eat they need to be separate but I have ceramic heater going on then rn and My terrium has towel on top I know it's not actually closed but keeps humidity up pretty good at 80 min for a good while I'm surprised the towel works so good I've got 2 real Live ferns in there for them to they love those Bostons but you think he will heal I can afford it but trying to avoid the vet if possible looking for a bit bigger burmese to add

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
if I have to quarantine the other tortise what can I do expect separate them cause I don't have another 2 tanks to be able to set up you know I mean there mostly fine toghter I think is when they eat they need to be separate but I have ceramic heater going on then rn and My terrium has towel on top I know it's not actually closed but keeps humidity up pretty good at 80 min for a good while I'm surprised the towel works so good I've got 2 real Live ferns in there for them to they love those Bostons but you think he will heal I can afford it but trying to avoid the vet if possible looking for a bit bigger burmese to add
Please use punctuation and capitalization. Its very difficult to read your posts like this.

They are not mostly fine together. Groups are fine. Pairs are not fine.

You do not have to quarantine, but realize that you are taking a big risk if you don't. You may lose one or all of them if any of them are carrying any disease organisms.

If you get the temperatures up to the correctly level, you should be able to avoid going to the vet.

Tanks don't work. You need proper closed chambers with the heating and lighting contained inside and a solid roof on top that doesn't let all your heat and humidity out.

braige thomas

Knoxville TENNESSEE

Update my tortise is still very active doesn't really act sick but noticed him asleep blowing bubbles so I gave him a warm bath seems to have helped clear his eyes and he's drinking alot of it to here are some pics got a vivo sun heat Mat delivered Friday for now have my house temp up a little and ceramic heater going full time keeping atleast 80 in there 24/7 do you think this is enough my new mat will have thermostat to so it will definitely help bath was about 95 degrees I seen other post saying keep them toasty also took them outside yesterday for sunlight fir 2 ish hours ot was 85 90 degrees my other tortise looks healthy tho and no bubbles even though he's smaller and less active thank you Tom for all your professional tortise advice lol

Attachments

• 20230718_160842.jpg
    20230718_160842.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2
  • 20230718_160933.jpg
    20230718_160933.jpg
    666.5 KB · Views: 2

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I might have read this wrong, but your tortoises bath was 95 degrees? Punctuation is helpful.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I'm not an expert however that is too hot. @Tom

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have never temped my soak water but I don't think 95 is too hot. They bask under temps that reach 95-100.
I would not go over 95 probably closer to 90 but 85-95 is fine.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I have never temped my soak water but I don't think 95 is too hot. They bask under temps that reach 95-100.
I would not go over 95 probably closer to 90 but 85-95 is

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
95 is what i soak my tortoise at. its warm but not hot to the touch. I use a thermometer and i use it when it is between around 92-96 degrees

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Update my tortise is still very active doesn't really act sick but noticed him asleep blowing bubbles so I gave him a warm bath seems to have helped clear his eyes and he's drinking alot of it to here are some pics got a vivo sun heat Mat delivered Friday for now have my house temp up a little and ceramic heater going full time keeping atleast 80 in there 24/7 do you think this is enough my new mat will have thermostat to so it will definitely help bath was about 95 degrees I seen other post saying keep them toasty also took them outside yesterday for sunlight fir 2 ish hours ot was 85 90 degrees my other tortise looks healthy tho and no bubbles even though he's smaller and less active thank you Tom for all your professional tortise advice lol
Heat mats shouldn't be used with smaller tortoise indoors. Heat from over head and use a thermostat to control ambient. If you have to run the CHE all the time to keep it over 80 in there, then your CHE is too low in wattage. You should add another one of the same wattage and connect both of them up to a thermostat to maintain ambient. I'd go to an ambient of 86 day and night until the nose bubbles have been gone for at least two weeks. Then you can back it down to 80-82. Soak daily with the extra heat. Don't skip and days.

braige thomas

Knoxville TENNESSEE
Heat mats shouldn't be used with smaller tortoise indoors. Heat from over head and use a thermostat to control ambient. If you have to run the CHE all the time to keep it over 80 in there, then your CHE is too low in wattage. You should add another one of the same wattage and connect both of them up to a thermostat to maintain ambient. I'd go to an ambient of 86 day and night until the nose bubbles have been gone for at least two weeks. Then you can back it down to 80-82. Soak daily with the extra heat. Don't skip and days.
So i know my terriaum isn't what is supposed to be used but my CHE I think it is to high up I put it over them keeps about 80nexactly and around 84 eith the heat lamp on its emitting right over them.so keeping the ground around them at 80 85 but overall tank temp 80 exactly you don't think adding the Matt to get a extra 5 degrees would help i already ordered it i cna return but I have a CHE so what do you think other than add another which I can do but isn't ideal