Burmese star bubbly nose

braige thomas

Location (City and/or State)
Knoxville TENNESSEE
Heat mats shouldn't be used with smaller tortoise indoors. Heat from over head and use a thermostat to control ambient. If you have to run the CHE all the time to keep it over 80 in there, then your CHE is too low in wattage. You should add another one of the same wattage and connect both of them up to a thermostat to maintain ambient. I'd go to an ambient of 86 day and night until the nose bubbles have been gone for at least two weeks. Then you can back it down to 80-82. Soak daily with the extra heat. Don't skip and days.
Actually Tom that may be the problem my CHE is I'm pretty sure lost the box but a 100w or mabye even 70 watt so I'll try getting a higher watt one but do you think I could use heat matt.for my sulcata he's like 7 inches ? So it doesn't go to waste or have to return?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Actually Tom that may be the problem my CHE is I'm pretty sure lost the box but a 100w or mabye even 70 watt so I'll try getting a higher watt one but do you think I could use heat matt.for my sulcata he's like 7 inches ? So it doesn't go to waste or have to return?
Those have burned many tortoises. When a tortoise feels too warm, instinct tells it to dig down into the cooler earth. As it digs down toward a heat mat, it gets hotter, so it digs down further, which gets it hotter. Eventually they get burned or they cook. You'd think they would figure this out, but they don't. There is nothing like this in the wld and their reptile brains don't use logic the way ours do.

I would try to return it, and then buy another CHE to spread the heat out. Or switch to radiant heat panels over head.