rachelraines

Location (City and/or State)
ALABAMA
Hi guys!! I’m getting my four month old Burmese star tomorrow!! I have been testing out the enclosure today checking humidity and temperature ranges. This may sound like a silly question but I want to prevent pyramiding as much as possibly- I know humidity, temperature, and diet has a lot to do with it. In terms of diet, I know that their protein intake should be minimal but what is considered protein for a tortoise? Also, would you guys recommend leaving the UVB light on all times and turning on the basking one at night? Vise versa? Turning them both off? Leaving them both on? I’m so nervous and want to make sure I’m doing everything correctly. I will be keeping it in my heated sunroom ensuring the room itself stays very warm. I have a closed shallow enclosure for now and I’m going to get some live plants to help with humidity. Do you guys have any suggestions on plants you guys like? How do you treat them before putting them in the enclosure with your tort? Sorry this is a lot of rambling and questions but like I said - new mom here! 💚💚💚

Attachments

• IMG_9088.jpeg
    IMG_9088.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1

Alex and the Redfoot

Location (City and/or State)
Cyprus
Hello!

1. UVB lamp should be on for 4-6 hours around midday (adjust timings a little to include morning basking time).
2. No lights should be on at night. To maintain temperature use ceramic heat emitters or radiant heat panels on a thermostat (they give off heat and no light).
3. Pyramiding happens when new keratin growth dries too quick. So good hydration - humidity and soakings with correct heating and lightning are the only way to prevent it. Protein intake is not causing pyramiding, however accelerated growth in wrong conditions will result in more pronounced shell bumps (and this will be the least important problem).
4. Stars a herbivorous, so when we talk about protein intake only plant-based protein matters. Some plants have higher protein contents (like alfalfa or clover). You need a balanced diet with decent amount of fiber and calcium and good variety. This will ensure fast growth with good bone density.

Most of your questions are answered here:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/info-for-new-people-please-read-this-first.202363/ (check Lightning/Heating Breakdown section for details on timers, lamps and such). Give this post a thoughtful read and then proceed with sulcatas and stars care sheet (it's linked at the bottom of that post).