butternut squash

Status
Not open for further replies.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
spain
Hi guys ive been reading that everyone uses Butternut squash for worming,Is it effective? Does it have to be boiled or raw? How much can be given? I have always used Panacur for all my Herps

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
bikerchicspain said:
Hi guys ive been reading that everyone uses Butternut squash for worming,Is it effective? Does it have to be boiled or raw? How much can be given? I have always used Panacur for all my Herps

I've searched the 'net and nowhere can I find where it says that butternut squash or pumpkin has anthelmintic properties (de-worming properties). However, it does say that the seeds of these two squashes are anthelmintic. You have to crush them and sprinkle them over the food. The folks here on the forum who use the squash in this manner, cook it so its not hard anymore. I think just one occasional feeding is sufficient, as it causes loose stool.

Yvonne

M

Maggie Cummings

I started using it weekly at the recommendation of a Sulcata group I belong to. None of the tortoises or turtles I have taken to the Vet has had parasites...
The group as a whole swears by it...so I don't care what your research shows...it works...

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Danny told me to use it for Dale at least twice a week at the start. So far I haven't seen anymore. You can buy it frozen and unthaw as you like. Candy

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...I find the pumpkin works better than the squash because it is higher in fiber. I usually feed butternut squash raw...peeled. I do fecals a couple times a year on everyone, and never have a parasite problem with any of my turtles, tortoises or my bearded dragons.
Patsy

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
K9KidsLove said:
Hi...I find the pumpkin works better than the squash because it is higher in fiber. I usually feed butternut squash raw...peeled. I do fecals a couple times a year on everyone, and never have a parasite problem with any of my turtles, tortoises or my bearded dragons.
Patsy
Quick off the topic question. With that many animals, I assume you can do the fecals at home and not a vet. How can I do this?

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
[/quote]
Quick off the topic question. With that many animals, I assume you can do the fecals at home and not a vet. How can I do this?
[/quote]

Hi...I worked at the vet hospital for 8 years and still rehab turtles & tortoises for them. In exchange for that, they let me do fecals using their microscope & supplies with no charges. I can do them myself. The only time I have to pay anything is when I need medication or have surgery done on any of my dogs. And even then, I get a discount. It is a BIG break for me. But I earned it!! When i worked there, the pay was lousy!! I worked there cause I love animals.
I stopped by there today to take Dr Askew some crickets & superworms for his frilled lizard (I buy them by the thousands, so he buys from me each week). He sent me home with 2 box turtles that need cleaning & medicated a couple times a day. The other techs there think the turtles are a bother and he knows I have time to take care of them.

If you wanted to buy a microscope, it isn't that hard to recognize parasites, bacteria, or coccidia.
Patsy

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
I also work with vets thats why ive always used PANACUR 2.5% for most of the small herps. Thats how i ended up fostering so many different animals, Ive just rehomed a female Imperial Boa, she was dumped by the owner for being aggressive,must of been with just him,She was also very lethargic and had mouth rot. It has taken a while to find her a home becuse of her size being 2.5m and nearly 5 kilo in weight, but she was a love.

FunnyGirl

5 Year Member
[/quote]

If you wanted to buy a microscope, it isn't that hard to recognize parasites, bacteria, or coccidia.
Patsy
[/quote]

Patsy - Does the feces need to be floated in a special medium? I have a killer microscope (packed away in the basement) that I used for semen evaluation and I am betting I could probably check my torts for parasites but I thought you had to use something special. Funny, I never thought of doing my own...:cool:

I never even thought to ASK if I could do my own, on any of my animals!

Can pyrantel pemoate be used on torts? They pretty much flipped me the scaley middle nail on the butternut squash!

Valerie

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...Yes you do need a float medium. But you can do a direct with just a slide & a slip cover with a drop of sterile water & a bit of fecal matter. Some of the puppy/kitty supply catalogs sell the medium. Just mix as directed. you will need a test tube or something similar to mix the medium with some poop. Top the full poopy/medium test tube with a slip cover & let it sit for about 15 minutes. Set the slip cover on the slide to view.
Try steaming the squash a bit to make it soft. Don't give up cause it is good for them.
Good luck
Patsy

FunnyGirl

5 Year Member
K9KidsLove said:
Hi...Yes you do need a float medium. But you can do a direct with just a slide & a slip cover with a drop of sterile water & a bit of fecal matter. Some of the puppy/kitty supply catalogs sell the medium. Just mix as directed. you will need a test tube or something similar to mix the medium with some poop. Top the full poopy/medium test tube with a slip cover & let it sit for about 15 minutes. Set the slip cover on the slide to view.
Try steaming the squash a bit to make it soft. Don't give up cause it is good for them.
Good luck
Patsy

Now all I have to do is find the microscope. WOO HOOO - a new toy!! I have a friend who is a cat vet so I am guessing she could get me the medium if it would work for torts??:cool:

Thanks Patsy

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
Does anyone think it would be worth starting a thread in a different place about doing fecals at home? From what I understand its not too difficult if you have the proper equipment. While the vet may always be best, if more people, could do it more often at home, it may be worth while. Also, by starting a new thread, we might get some more expert input, and also help those using the search function.
For those who have many reptiles, routine vet exams are very expensive when the reptile seems quite normal. I would sugest that a routine vet visit may be advisable for all reptiles pre-hibernation.

FunnyGirl

5 Year Member
FOUND MY MICROSCOPE!

Can't wait until I feel a bit better and can smear some crap on a slide.

Does anyone know a good website that has pictures of common parasites for torts? - never mind, I went to the site that Chad posted and bought the one that dude made up. I also bought the medium and a few other things. I am even going to practice on my dogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.