tazpjm

Location (City and/or State)
Qatar
Hello, I found cactus fig and checked tortoise table but they only have cactus, and there are different kinds. I have a greek (tunisian to be specific) and I was wondering if she could eat this? If so how do I prepare it?

Attachments

• 20211031_202552.jpg
    20211031_202552.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 7

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Yes. I feed a few of these every few weeks to our Sulcata. I just toss in with the other food & cactus pads. No special preparation. There are very fine cactus spines on the fruit, but tortoises easily eat these with no issues. For a smaller tortoise, just carefully slice it into a few pieces & feed.

➡️➡️ The fruit of prickly pears, commonly called cactus fruit, cactus fig, Indian fig, nopales or tuna in Spanish, is edible (by humans) although it must be peeled carefully to remove the small spines on the outer skin before consumption.
  • Common Name: Opuntia Cactus (Prickly Pear/Nopales)
  • Latin Name: Opuntia spp.
  • Family Name: Cactaceae
Opuntia is a large genus, ranging from tree specimans to ground cover, all of which are safe (both pads and fruit). In large quantities Opuntia can have a laxative effect, so don't overfeed. Opuntia ficus indica is one of the most popular varieties for tortoises, as it has fewer spines and glochids than some of the others.

tazpjm

Qatar
Yes. I feed a few of these every few weeks to our Sulcata. I just toss in with the other food & cactus pads. No special preparation. There are very fine cactus spines on the fruit, but tortoises easily eat these with no issues. For a smaller tortoise, just carefully slice it into a few pieces & feed.

➡️➡️ The fruit of prickly pears, commonly called cactus fruit, cactus fig, Indian fig, nopales or tuna in Spanish, is edible (by humans) although it must be peeled carefully to remove the small spines on the outer skin before consumption.
  • Common Name: Opuntia Cactus (Prickly Pear/Nopales)
  • Latin Name: Opuntia spp.
  • Family Name: Cactaceae
Opuntia is a large genus, ranging from tree specimans to ground cover, all of which are safe (both pads and fruit). In large quantities Opuntia can have a laxative effect, so don't overfeed. Opuntia ficus indica is one of the most popular varieties for tortoises, as it has fewer spines and glochids than some of the others.
Thank you?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello, I found cactus fig and checked tortoise table but they only have cactus, and there are different kinds. I have a greek (tunisian to be specific) and I was wondering if she could eat this? If so how do I prepare it?
Yes your tortoise can eat that. Its a good treat once or twice a week.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
I would suggest cutting off the prickly pieces off the cactus. Awesome treat for tortoises. Also adds to variety.