Cactus growing

Skip K

Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Am currently growing cactus...from pads....outdoors. I am growing two different types of opuntia (Cacanapa and Ficus Indica ) One is a cold(er) tolerant variant. I plan on experimenting with one of the “cold tolerant” and planting outside. But my questions deal with cactus I will leave in containers and plan on bringing indoors in the winter. Do they survive indoors...especially if they were outside in the summer? Should I leave the ones I plan on bringing in for the winter... indoors all the time instead of having them outside for just the summer? I did start the pads indoors initially...but they have really picked up steam since being outside

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I am in RVA and my cacti don't mind pots and sure enjoy the outside better. If you plant them outside make sure it is in a good sunny and cold-defense spot. I would even plan on a mini sort of greehouse for winter. There are wild patches and planted patches of opuntia that are very cold hearty and do very well in our odd temperature zone. I have some opuntia growing in my indoor enclosure and it loves. I would be prepared for both and hope the cold hearty has enough time to estblish itself before winter hits. hope that helps!

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Yes, you can bring them in for the winter after being outside during the warm months. The Indica can take pretty cold temps if you can keep it totally dry in a pot. I don't know what cacanapa is but it looks like some that I have here that I grow in the ground and they do fine over winter without any special care. I have many opuntias both spine-less and spined that thrive here planted in the ground. What I have in pots grow much slower than the planted ones. Are you near Colonial Beach?

Skip K

Virginia
I’m about 16 miles south of Washington DC. I do know Colonial Beach though. Had a very close friend who lived there for years... loved sailing!

Fresno
Ficus-indica doesn't seem like the best species to grow in a pot because it would normally become a very big plant. I would expect even a smallish variety of ficus-indica would quickly become top heavy in a pot. Here's a picture to show the size of one pad of ficus-indica in my backyard.

There are a lot of smaller species such as the other one you are growing that would be easier to grow in pots. Careful, because growing cactus can quickly turn into a whole other hobby, LOL. Good luck.

M.

IMG_20200419_180959.jpg

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I’m about 16 miles south of Washington DC. I do know Colonial Beach though. Had a very close friend who lived there for years... loved sailing!
If you are ever over this way you are welcome to stop by and I can load you up with more plants to grow than you will ever need. I can see Wilkersons from my front yard.

Relic

Here
Not sure what variety of opuntia I have (almost, but not quite spineless), but I occasionally stick broken-off pads into old pots and they almost always root and grow. I leave them on the south side of the fence and the winters here in north Texas don't seem to bother them much. I'd be glad to share them with anyone nearby that wanted some...IMG_8621.jpeg

Skip K

Virginia
Here are my starter pads. The long, tall one is Indica...and the wide one is Cacanapa ( disclaimer...I don’t know squat about cactus and the names given are from the ads of my purchases). According to the ads...the Cacanapa is cold hardy.
I truly appreciate all the info people. My goal is to grow as much natural food as possible but my location is a factor. I planted a Rose of Sharon Bush a couple of weeks ago...and it’s pumping out the flowers. I also plan on planting a banana palm. With grazing grass and weeds...if I can keep alive all year outdoors...banana, cactus and hibiscus....I’ll be a happy camper. Again...thanks to all!

Skip K

Virginia
Photo...

Attachments

• 403927E1-0625-4309-BD66-3F942361490E.jpeg
    403927E1-0625-4309-BD66-3F942361490E.jpeg
    56.3 KB · Views: 33

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have a couple mature opuntia in my cactus garden. This is a 5' tall fence and you can see about a foot over the top of the fence. I have to cut them back severely because the root system can't support the top heavy plants when the ground is saturated in rainy season:

cactus a.jpgcactus b.jpgCactus Garden 5-12-12 b.jpg

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
So I'm in my bathrobe, feeding the birds, when I get an idea. I run outside and take some photos and come back in and download them, and go to where I'm gonna post my cactus and yard photos. And what do I see over yonder? Yvonne has posted pictures of HER giant cactus's. So instead, I'll just slink off and go pull weeds, happy day all

Relic

Here
I have a couple mature opuntia in my cactus garden. This is a 5' tall fence and you can see about a foot over the top of the fence. I have to cut them back severely because the root system can't support the top heavy plants when the ground is saturated in rainy season:

View attachment 299361View attachment 299362View attachment 299363
So I'm admiring photo #3, especially the magnificent bloom stalk rising out of that agave, when I'm distracted by an even more spectacular bloom stalk to the far left. It even has some unusual yellow banding at the base. Then I see the telephone line and realize it's a utility pole...

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
Am currently growing cactus...from pads....outdoors. I am growing two different types of opuntia (Cacanapa and Ficus Indica ) One is a cold(er) tolerant variant. I plan on experimenting with one of the “cold tolerant” and planting outside. But my questions deal with cactus I will leave in containers and plan on bringing indoors in the winter. Do they survive indoors...especially if they were outside in the summer? Should I leave the ones I plan on bringing in for the winter... indoors all the time instead of having them outside for just the summer? I did start the pads indoors initially...but they have really picked up steam since being outside
I have kept cacti for 61 years. If not cold hardy they need to be kept above about 40 F indoors or in a nice warm greenhouse. The few I still have I bring in the house in the wet cold months and most are kept in the coolest part of the house and none are watered. If kept watered they will grow and out of the warm outdoor sun they will grow thin, leggy and unattractively:cool:.