cactus pad

Status
Not open for further replies.

my4everlover

5 Year Member
i just bought a pot of optunia cactus do i need to cut it n gv it to my tortoise or just gv the whole cactus pad to it?

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I base it on the size of tortoise that I'm feeding it to. My adults have no problems chomping into whole pads. For small tortoises I slice a pad into 2 or 3 strips lengthwise. They seem to be able to get a better bite in it by doing so.

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Salutations ~

Since all of my tort's are age 4 & under, I, too, cut cactus pads into strips ~ I also cut my prickly pears into wedges, to make it easier for my sweeethearts to get a better bite.

Take care,
Purpod

M

martine4161

Well it is based on the size of cactus and also the size of your tortoise. If it can eat normally then there is no need of cutting it. But if it have some problem with that then you should cut it.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I give it out 3 - 5 days a week...rule of thumb...a pad per animal. I run the food processor for 4 or 5 pulses and serve it to the yearlings as such...the adults get the whole pad (hand fed).

5v0sxt.jpg

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
New York
after seeing this I have questions..do tortoises eat cactus's? and if they do could i put one in my red foots tank? the other day i bought cactus treats from the pet store, but im guessing its not the same as a real live one

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Is all cactus edible or do I need to buy it at the grocery.

Status
Not open for further replies.