Cactus pads available?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
I don't know of this goes here or in the 'wanted' section- please move it if appropriate!

My mom was a big time cacti-nut here in the midwest, so I went to her for advice on cactus for my Red-foots. Her advice was...

There are a lot of native species that have no or soft thorns and are winter hardy. Just find some, break off a few pads, lay them in well-drained soil, and they will grow. You can even mail them most of the time and they will be fine.

So... having failed in my efforts to find wild or greenhouse cacti to grow in my garden for my herd, I am asking you guys and gals if you have any cactus, opuntia, nopales, or prickly pear pads you would be willing to share or sell? (Understand, I ask this having no idea if it is even legal to mail plant matter!)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't know how much it would cost to ship from California to Nebraska, but I'm willing to send you some if you want them. I have two great big plants of the spineless opuntia (it does have some spines, but not the really big ones)

Yvonne

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Madkins007 said:
I don't know of this goes here or in the 'wanted' section- please move it if appropriate!

My mom was a big time cacti-nut here in the midwest, so I went to her for advice on cactus for my Red-foots. Her advice was...

There are a lot of native species that have no or soft thorns and are winter hardy. Just find some, break off a few pads, lay them in well-drained soil, and they will grow. You can even mail them most of the time and they will be fine.

So... having failed in my efforts to find wild or greenhouse cacti to grow in my garden for my herd, I am asking you guys and gals if you have any cactus, opuntia, nopales, or prickly pear pads you would be willing to share or sell? (Understand, I ask this having no idea if it is even legal to mail plant matter!)
Where in Nebraska do you live?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
If my memory serves your in Omaha correct?

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
I bought some from ebay last winter. Transplanted the opuntia outside in the spring and it is growing like crazy. I will be breaking off some of the new pads soon to replant so I have enough for next year. Don't have enough to send but they don't take long to grow. Good luck!!!

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
If you look in dryer or rocky areas of your state you should be able to find O. humafusa, fragilis, or polycantha. I or my dog have found all three in there. Often if found on farm or ranch, landowner is very willing to have you collect some. The further west you travel, the easier it is to find.

chelonologist

10 Year Member!
Redlands, California
If you have a Mexican market in your area, you should be able to find nopales - the large (relatively) spineless Mexican Opuntia. I get them at a local market here in southern California.

I wouldn't recommend harvesting wild Opuntia.

Attachments

• IMG_0559.JPG
    IMG_0559.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 24

TORTOISEHOME

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I found a couple Cacti that I believe are Prickly Pear. They are a nice big pads with a baseball attached looking thing on top of the pads. The ball is green but I dont know if it is because it is not ripe. I picked a couple pads but I noticed a handful of thorns about the size of about 1/8"-1/4" long. What is the easiest way to remove the thorns or do you even have to for the tortoises. I would think you would have to as it hurt getting those little things in my fingers.

I am located in the Bay Area in California and there is tons of this stuff around. Any help would be useful. The pads I have seen are about 12" long by 6-10" wide. There is some new growth that is bright green and much smaller.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
The easiest way to get thornes out of cati is to sear them. Just place over open flame and poof they burn right up.
You can also use a potato peeler and peel the cacti.
Use tongs when handling.
The round baseball things are fruit. Some torts will eat them green mine like them more ripe. They also like the cactus blooms.

MONGO said:
I found a couple Cacti that I believe are Prickly Pear. They are a nice big pads with a baseball attached looking thing on top of the pads. The ball is green but I dont know if it is because it is not ripe. I picked a couple pads but I noticed a handful of thorns about the size of about 1/8"-1/4" long. What is the easiest way to remove the thorns or do you even have to for the tortoises. I would think you would have to as it hurt getting those little things in my fingers.

I am located in the Bay Area in California and there is tons of this stuff around. Any help would be useful. The pads I have seen are about 12" long by 6-10" wide. There is some new growth that is bright green and much smaller.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Jobeanator, in your profile you don't list where you are from.
Stater Brothers Markets carry them seasonally, which in CA is most of the time.
They also sell them on E-bay.
You and get them at most nurseries or they will order them for you.
You want Opuntia-Ficus-Indica or Opuntia humifusa.
Markets often sell them as Nopales- but only use fresh not the one in a jar.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Yes, I am in Omaha. I used to find wild opuntia around here, but cannot seem to find any lately (at least in places I feel safe harvesting it).

I can sometimes buy the harvested pads locally, but growing my own would be cheaper, considering that the pads run a couple bucks each most of the time.

Yvonne- if you are willing, I'll shoot you some money via PayPal to cover packing and shipping. Shoot me a private message where to send some money and I'll give you my mailing info.

Thanks everyone!

chelonologist

10 Year Member!
Redlands, California
Leslie said:
The fresh whole pads that are sold at the Mexican market here cost today 0.69/lb, they look plump like they were just harvested and I got four big pads which cost me only $1.26. :D (I LOVE to save $) I bought them to plant, not to feed to my torts. I have grown Opuntia from the grocery store pads before and it's an inexpensive way to get new plants.

I've done the same - I bought a few pads at the Mexican market and planted one (the rest went to the tortoises). I planted the pad in a pot last summer and it's produced several new pads since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.