Cactus pads

Jay Bagley

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
I was out and about today doing just a little bit of shopping here and there. I came across a little market that sold cactus pads. The price seemed reasonable at $2.19 per pound. My question is, what is the best way to keep them? Should I refrigerate them like normal produce, or just throw them up on the counter.20180422_120623.jpg

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
What about the spines, do you cut them off?

For my adult Russian I don’t do anything. Her jaw is a lot less sensitive than a human hand. :) But whatever you feel comfortable with. Some people go over them with a plastic pot scrubber, as well as scrape or burn them.

Prices vary so I wouldn’t worry too much about them if it’s affordable for you. In my high cost of living city they sell for two dollars per pound at least and they grow here! If I drive into Los Angeles to a full Mexican neighborhood they are three pounds to a dollar at one of the big grocery stores there. :eek:

Jay Bagley

Michigan
What about the spines, do you cut them off?
I have been, mainly just so I don't get them stuck in my finger..lol. Since there is no one doing it for them in the wild, I don't know if it really hurts them or not to leave them on.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
I have been, mainly just so I don't get them stuck in my finger..lol. Since there is no one doing it for them in the wild, I don't know if it really hurts them or not to leave them on.
Good morning Jay [emoji846] I keep the pads I get like that in the fridge, and attempt to cut off most of the spines if possible, if only for my peace of mind and to save my fingers [emoji16]

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Good morning Jay [emoji846] I keep the pads I get like that in the fridge, and attempt to cut off most of the spines if possible, if only for my peace of mind and to save my fingers [emoji16]
Good morning Vlad, thank you for your reply. I will definitely keep them in the refrigerator. I will definitely continue to remove the spines, as I have gotten one stuck in my finger before. I imagine one stuck in the roof of their mouth probably not be all that pleasant[emoji33]