cactus question

Status
Not open for further replies.

flawless

5 Year Member
IMG_20130602_150042_2.jpgJust wondering if this is a prickly pear even though it's smooth and will it grow if u just break a big piece off and stick it in the ground? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Yes it is, and you can grow new plants by planting pieces,in fact you don't even need to plant them they will grow if just laid on the ground and left alone.

Holycow

10 Year Member!
Homestead ,FL
As stated above it will grow if left alone. The larger pad you plant the better. You can speed it's growth up by placing the pad in an upright position with it's base slightly buried in the ground. You could also lean it up against something to keep it in that position. Also the more FULL sunlight it gets each day the faster it will grow, shade is your enemy. For water just spray it with a hose every couple months (if you don't ever get rain) if you DO get rain just leave it alone. These plants are survivors. I've planted a pad and had it grow a pad of equal size in a month!
--Jeff

flawless

5 Year Member
Holycow said:
As stated above it will grow if left alone. The larger pad you plant the better. You can speed it's growth up by placing the pad in an upright position with it's base slightly buried in the ground. You could also lean it up against something to keep it in that position. Also the more FULL sunlight it gets each day the faster it will grow, shade is your enemy. For water just spray it with a hose every couple months (if you don't ever get rain) if you DO get rain just leave it alone. These plants are survivors. I've planted a pad and had it grow a pad of equal size in a month!
--Jeff

Thanks for the great info jeff

JoesMum said:
It's latin name is Opuntia and it makes great tort food whether or not you call it prickly pear :)

Thanks for the info

wellington said:
Yes, feed it.

Thanks

Len said:
Yes it is, and you can grow new plants by planting pieces,in fact you don't even need to plant them they will grow if just laid on the ground and left alone.

Thanks for the info

flawless

5 Year Member
Just want to say thanks for all the advise on growing thsese ..i planted 6 of the 10 days ago and they have all rooted already...

CJohnson

5 Year Member
I have some just like that, but I can't get my 10 month old Hermann to eat them, any suggestions? I cut them up in small pieces, but he eats around them. I heard they are excellent food for my little one.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Just because something is good to eat, it doesn't mean your tort will eat it. If your tort has a good varied diet, forget the cactus for now and don't worry about it. Maybe try again in a few months.

flawless

5 Year Member
Tenniscole1 said:
My desert tort loves prickly pear :)

My sulcata love them to

CJohnson said:
I have some just like that, but I can't get my 10 month old Hermann to eat them, any suggestions? I cut them up in small pieces, but he eats around them. I heard they are excellent food for my little one.

I had one sulcata that was the same way after mixing it up with some mazuri a few times and now she loves it..

CJohnson

5 Year Member
flawless said:
Tenniscole1 said:
My desert tort loves prickly pear :)

My sulcata love them to

CJohnson said:

I had one sulcata that was the same way after mixing it up with some mazuri a few times and now she loves it..

Thank you, I might try that since I have about 4 pads to use up.

Status
Not open for further replies.