Cactus success!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
Offer pads to your tortoises daily while the pads are still apple-green and no bigger than the palm of your hand. To remove them from the plant, bend the joint at the base of the pad and they will snap off cleanly without the need for you to cut them. Choose at least one place to offer the pads consistently, a place that is shady, at least in the afternoon. A covered patio may be ideal. The tortoise will remember where to come to eat the pads.

Place the narrow end of the pad under a heavy brick that will hold the pad firmly on the pavement or ground as the tortoise eats from it. If the pad does not rest far enough off the surface for the tortoise to get his mouth on both the top and bottom of the pad, push a very small pebble under the pad as far as you can toward the brick to hold the pad up just far enough. Replace uneaten pads with fresh ones, each day. Please refer to the photo below.

Tortoises of all ages can eat the pads without further preparation. The glochids do not have to be removed. The tips of smaller pads are tender enough for hatchlings. Young pads are a good source of nutrients. You will notice that throughout the growing season new pads are produced at greatly different rates.

Tortoise can easily eat these cactus pads. The heavy bricks make is possible for him to bite and pull, as if the pad were attached to the plant. A small pebble props up each pad.

(Copied, without regard to permission or authorization of any kind. We're all here for the best of our tortoises, right? Sue me, what'll you get? A dog that barks at, and chases bird shadows?).

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Offer pads to your tortoises daily while the pads are still apple-green and no bigger than the palm of your hand. To remove them from the plant, bend the joint at the base of the pad and they will snap off cleanly without the need for you to cut them. Choose at least one place to offer the pads consistently, a place that is shady, at least in the afternoon. A covered patio may be ideal. The tortoise will remember where to come to eat the pads.

Place the narrow end of the pad under a heavy brick that will hold the pad firmly on the pavement or ground as the tortoise eats from it. If the pad does not rest far enough off the surface for the tortoise to get his mouth on both the top and bottom of the pad, push a very small pebble under the pad as far as you can toward the brick to hold the pad up just far enough. Replace uneaten pads with fresh ones, each day. Please refer to the photo below.

Tortoises of all ages can eat the pads without further preparation. The glochids do not have to be removed. The tips of smaller pads are tender enough for hatchlings. Young pads are a good source of nutrients. You will notice that throughout the growing season new pads are produced at greatly different rates.

Tortoise can easily eat these cactus pads. The heavy bricks make is possible for him to bite and pull, as if the pad were attached to the plant. A small pebble props up each pad.

(Copied, without regard to permission or authorization of any kind. We're all here for the best of our tortoises, right? Sue me, what'll you get? A dog that barks at, and chases bird shadows?).
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1403462874.208167.jpg

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I believe the root system gets very large but I just read what TomSays about large pads so if you keep the cactus in a smaller pot the cactus stays smaller . So I wouldn't move the plant to a bigger pot .

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Flipper

MO, USA
I just got my order :) I'm going to pot my pads! They are huge! Bigger than my hand!!!

Flipper

MO, USA
Good luck, try not to over water.
Thanks :D it rain today so I'm going to leave them alone for a week.

I know this is somebody else's thread, but do you mind me asking how to get my little Hermann's tortoise to start eating these cactuses pads :( I cut three 1/2 inch strips that were a couple inches long and it was a no go. I put her sedum in there that she love to nonononom and she scarfed that but not the pad I ordered from AZ. :eyeroll:

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Thanks :D it rain today so I'm going to leave them alone for a week.

I know this is somebody else's thread, but do you mind me asking how to get my little Hermann's tortoise to start eating these cactuses pads :( I cut three 1/2 inch strips that were a couple inches long and it was a no go. I put her sedum in there that she love to nonononom and she scarfed that but not the pad I ordered from AZ. :eyeroll:

Try mincing it and getting the juice and bits all over his regular food.

Elohi(Earth)

Flipper

MO, USA
Try mincing it and getting the juice and bits all over his regular food.

Elohi(Earth)
Ok! I'll try that tomorrow! Thanks for not getting mad about me on your thread!

This thread has been very inspiring and helpful to me :) :hug

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
The biggest thing for successfully growing cactus is they do NOT tolerate wet feet, as it were. A light mix of “good" soil, with something like crushed pumice in abundance, with no plant saucer, (save it for a tortoise water dish) if growing in pots. Trust me on this. Here in the PNW, I've got dead cactus that were growing before I left them out in our 48" average of annual rainfall.
This year the weather guessers are predicting an above average of 90°+ days…12-16. Oh boy!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Cowboy I live in AZ I don't have that problem but could you send me some of that RAIN c.o.d . PPPllleeessseee ?

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
How long did it take you to get to the point in the picture? I just planted my pads this weekend and I was wondering what kind of time period I'm looking at.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
How long did it take you to get to the point in the picture? I just planted my pads this weekend and I was wondering what kind of time period I'm looking at.

3-4 weeks. The new pads grew really quickly. The weird thing is, they haven't really grown since this picture was taken. ?? They are maybe slightly less bright green but look the same to me. Hmmm.

Elohi(Earth)

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Taza
Too plant any plant it's always better to cut it off with a very sharp knife . It's like citing a finger off its Easyer to put it Bach on the hand if you rip it off they have to trim it to find edge to put it back on . A sharp edge Willnot rot as easy as broken edges .