Cactus swap picture thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucas339

5 Year Member
i was worried that i was going to miss this thread so i decided to start it! lol!!

here is what i have. it is oputina; not sure of the species. a little different than most ive seen. the pads are long and skinny. this is one of 5 plants i have growing. i have several pads with roots growing in another bed.

cactus2.jpg

anora

5 Year Member
Well...

I like this cactus its pads are very beautiful and useful..
Its very useful for human...

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Republic O' Tejas
Here are what I have...no idea of the varieties, other than some forms of spineless Opuntia (I also have access to a native spined Opuntia, if anybody wants some of that)

1e6422dd-ef0b-44d8-962e-0fd1e5ed0231

Thw above came from this bunch in my front "yard", pictured below. Thick, tough pads, but excellent for sulcatas and other larger tortoises.

5eff66db-bc0d-4b8b-9fad-58f3e4ec174f

03b56a97-2156-409e-ab1f-a96444a9da88

This was given to me by our own Len...slow growing, but I think it'll be good for Meds and similar sized torts, once it starts growing better.

f8426a8d-8ad2-4ffe-b373-0ca460dd39c9

Got the above from Sonora, Mexico...looks a lot like what grows in my yard, and may well accessible to sulcatas/larger tortoises..

1755e7e1-a56b-48ab-a642-2a12a6726c7e

Store-bought, but grows well here...more tender than the top two pics, so I feed my torts this, mostly...

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Here are some pics of what I have to offer to anyone who needs some, cold hardy, some with spines on the mature pads and some without spines,I mostly feed the new growth because it is more tender and less spines.Some grow like trees and some spread out close to the ground and go dormant during winter by laying flat on the ground and standing back up in spring.All are almost impossible to Kill. The last 2 pics are of the smaller spine-less ground creeping type that I am working on to produce more plants, and can offer more pads (and a few rooted plants) then I could last year.I would love to trade but if you can't trade (always looking for new types) I will send some for the cost of shipping. Len

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
??Len?? said:
Here are some pics of what I have to offer to anyone who needs some, cold hardy, some with spines on the mature pads and some without spines,I mostly feed the new growth because it is more tender and less spines.Some grow like trees and some spread out close to the ground and go dormant during winter by laying flat on the ground and standing back up in spring.All are almost impossible to Kill. The last 2 pics are of the smaller spine-less ground creeping type that I am working on to produce more plants, and can offer more pads (and a few rooted plants) then I could last year.I would love to trade but if you can't trade (always looking for new types) I will send some for the cost of shipping. Len

Len you have a nice collection there...

Man Mine don't even compare to Terry's and Len's or Lucas, I will take pics of mine and post tomorrow...

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Here are a few of mine, I didn't get any good growth, but I am hopeful next year I will..

IMG00417-20110817-1307.jpg

IMG00419-20110817-1307.jpg

IMG00420-20110817-1307.jpg

This one was in the ground and had new growth but my wife chopped it with the weed eater and knocked the new pads off with the water hose, so I dug it up and I'm not wet growing it.

IMG00421-20110817-1307.jpg

The ones in the last photo will be placed in pots soon.
IMG00422-20110818-0128.jpg

I have a few more but to lazy to take more pics...

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
Wow, those all look great! How long does it take for one to grow? Can you just take a pad from one and just put it in a pot and it will grow roots? I see the ones with no spines in peoples yards around here and I would love to see if i can grow one for Bowser, might as well start now while she is still growing ;), lol. What is the best one to start with?

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
drgnfly2265 said:
Wow, those all look great! How long does it take for one to grow? Can you just take a pad from one and just put it in a pot and it will grow roots? I see the ones with no spines in peoples yards around here and I would love to see if i can grow one for Bowser, might as well start now while she is still growing ;), lol. What is the best one to start with?

The spines don't bother tortoises at all, but the spineless varieties are easier on the tortoise owner.

Yes, you can easily grow them from pads in a pot or in the yard...takes about a month or so from when you plant the pad before you see the 1st growth of the 1st new pad-let...if you can put it where it can get a lot of sun, it'll grow huge in a few years (the bunch in Pic #2 of post #4 went from one pad to the montrocity it is, minus maybe 50 pads I've harvested, in about 4 years).

For a sulcata, any Pountia variety will work...you'll have to chop up the larger pads for a baby sulcata, but any sulcata over 8" or so will tear into any whole pad, no matter how thick/tough.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I agree with Terry, the spineless variety makes life easier on the person that has to handle to cactus..

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Practice practice and more practice, along with thick skin helps also.--I have a new one that looks like the new growth will have spines and as they mature the long spines fall off,anyone seen this type.It was growing at a BB&T Bank, stopped and ask for some pads. Len

Status
Not open for further replies.