Cactus

TheSulcata

Hey guys, I have two sulcatas and they eat mainly lettuce, grass, and carrots. I just read prickly pear cactus is good for them. I was wondering if they can eat any other kind of cactus? I live in Texas and have cacti all over in my backyard and wanted to feed them that instead of having to buy it. Also, I know curly bulbs are bad for them, so I elevated it so they can't stare directly at it. I was wondering if it is completely necessary to get a different bulb (I am just a kid and it would take forever to save up to get a tube bulb)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Your Sulcatas should not be eating carrot as a regular part of their diet.

They cannot digest sugars properly- it causes digestive and kidney problems - so carrot, fruit, tomato and bell pepper should only be fed very sparingly and very occasionally.

I can't help with cacti - we don't have many here in the UK. :)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hey guys, I have two sulcatas and they eat mainly lettuce, grass, and carrots. I just read prickly pear cactus is good for them. I was wondering if they can eat any other kind of cactus? I live in Texas and have cacti all over in my backyard and wanted to feed them that instead of having to buy it. Also, I know curly bulbs are bad for them, so I elevated it so they can't stare directly at it. I was wondering if it is completely necessary to get a different bulb (I am just a kid and it would take forever to save up to get a tube bulb)
It's not that they go blind staring at the bulbs. It's the wavelength and the way the light is projected.
If you have one of the problem bulbs, you will still have the same fate.
They're not worth the risk to most of us.
Can you get your tortoise outside for a few hours each day and watch over it? Genuine sunlight is the very best and it's free.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm happy to change your birthdate for you. Send me a private conversation.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Your tortoises should not be eating lettuce or carrots. They need a high fiber diet with grass, weeds and leaves. Please read this:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Raising the bulb does not eliminate the risk, but it does make the bulb useless for UV purposes. Just turn that bulb off and get the tortoise outside with access to sunshine whenever the weather is over 70 degrees and sunny. All they need is 30 minutes once or twice a week, but more is better. It is fine to skip a few weeks of sunshine during winter as long as they get lots during spring, summer and fall.

They can eat any of the varieties of spineless opuntia. There are several good species. They can also eat organ pipe cactus. I cut the spines off. Most people grow their own. Cactus are pretty cheap to buy and they grow fast in warm weather. You can buy pads online and plant them your self very easily. We can give you tips when the time comes.

TheSulcata

Ok, so I don't need the UV bulb at all as long as I put them out for a few hours a day? And if so, what about winter when it is too cold?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok, so I don't need the UV bulb at all as long as I put them out for a few hours a day? And if so, what about winter when it is too cold?

Get the tortoise outside with access to sunshine whenever the weather is over 70 degrees and sunny. All they need is 30 minutes once or twice a week, but more is better. It is fine to skip a few weeks of sunshine during winter as long as they get lots during spring, summer and fall.

TheSulcata

Ok, I've got them by a window so they should be good. And you said they can eat leaves, they can't eat oak leaves, can they? (When I put them outside if there is a oak leaf on the ground they try to eat it but I take it away cuz idk if they can eat it or not)

TheSulcata

Get the tortoise outside with access to sunshine whenever the weather is over 70 degrees and sunny. All they need is 30 minutes once or twice a week, but more is better. It is fine to skip a few weeks of sunshine during winter as long as they get lots during spring, summer and fall.
Thx btw

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Ok, I've got them by a window so they should be good. And you said they can eat leaves, they can't eat oak leaves, can they? (When I put them outside if there is a oak leaf on the ground they try to eat it but I take it away cuz idk if they can eat it or not)
UVB does NOT pass through window glass. It has to be properly outside for UVB. (Cloud isn't a problem apart from dropping the temperature)

Oak has poisons and I would try to avoid them eating it completely