cage mate question

Status
Not open for further replies.

derekdehaas

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
My wife want another tort badly and my only issue is space well that's just my problem lol we do have space. But I thought maybe get another greek tort to live with our female greek that we had for a year and a half now...then there we got two torts! My question is will it be alright if I got another tort of same species live in a same tort table? of course bigger the table the better and more hides and that's easy;)
would 2 females be okay?
do they need to be same size or very close to it?
the greek that we had since hatchling is captive bred and very healthy so I need to find one that is cb. Thanks for any of your help and advice. Here's the one we have now.
Tort006.jpg

By the way while I'm at it is she an Ibera greek? Seems to be.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Yes she looks like a T.g.ibera to me. :) If she is a female, it may be possible to introduce another female to the enclosure (after quarantine). It may not work though, so just be prepared to seperate them if necessary.

Danny

derekdehaas

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:
Yes she looks like a T.g.ibera to me. :) If she is a female, it may be possible to introduce another female to the enclosure (after quarantine). It may not work though, so just be prepared to seperate them if necessary.

Danny

Thanks. How about a male and a female? Honestly I gotta have two torts also:D

S

stells

If you just had the one female with the male you would have to seperate for sure when the male becomes sexually mature... Male Ibera aren't the most placid of tortoises when they have their urges and can cause some damage...

As Danny mentioned you would need to do a quarantine period before introducing them... so you would need another enclosure to start with anyway...

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
The male probably will drive the poor girl crazy trying to mate with her. Things got so bad here that I keep all my males from my females until I'm ready to let them have a "date."

derekdehaas

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks everyone. I think I rather just have one and keep it that way. If we were to have another tort then I rather go for hermann or something....i'm sure I can build a 2 level tort table (one bottom and one top).

Status
Not open for further replies.