Calci worms question

sintapiviti

Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
Hello,

Just manage to a get me some calci worms after some time looking for them in online store, and finding out they're called maggot BSF around here lol

My questions are, how often can you feed these to RF? Mine is just over a year old. Also, since they're said to have very high amount of calcium, would I still need to give calcium powder or cuttlefish bone if I give these?

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello,

Just manage to a get me some calci worms after some time looking for them in online store, and finding out they're called maggot BSF around here lol

My questions are, how often can you feed these to RF? Mine is just over a year old. Also, since they're said to have very high amount of calcium, would I still need to give calcium powder or cuttlefish bone if I give these?
Hi!
They are rather high in fats (like most worms/larvae), so I would stick to moderate amount 1-2 times a week, probably mixed with greens.

"High calcium" is not really high, but just close to optimal Calcium-Phosphorus ratio (2.5:1) - better than in most feeder insects, maybe with the exception of earthworms. Thus feeding BSF larvae doesn't affect calcium supplements schedule.Cuttlefish bone is okay to keep in the enclosure, so tortoise can bite it whenever it wants to.

sintapiviti

New Jersey
Hi!
They are rather high in fats (like most worms/larvae), so I would stick to moderate amount 1-2 times a week, probably mixed with greens.

"High calcium" is not really high, but just close to optimal Calcium-Phosphorus ratio (2.5:1) - better than in most feeder insects, maybe with the exception of earthworms. Thus feeding BSF larvae doesn't affect calcium supplements schedule.Cuttlefish bone is okay to keep in the enclosure, so tortoise can bite it whenever it wants to.
Thank you for your helpful reply.

To clarify, do I feed just 1 worm in those 1-2 times a week schedule?

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Thank you for your helpful reply.

To clarify, do I feed just 1 worm in those 1-2 times a week schedule?
No, a typically agreed portion of protein is "tortoise head size" (maybe, a bit more for hatchlings - like 2 heads) in a week or 10-15% of overall food intake (whatever is easier for you to calculate). So you can divide this amount in 2-3 feedings. Just a sidenote - when BSF larvae get wet they acquire a superability to crawl any surface, including glass :)

@cooky_luvs may give you more accurate guidelines.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
My Redfoot, Layla, is 3 yrs going on 4 and I don't mess around with those other feeders except superworms. I dig nightcrawlers out of a tortoise poop place in my yard. I feed her 1 large nightcrawler weekly. I am used to feeding herbivores, so feeding a Redfoot who will eat anything is fun. Layla like scrambled eggs instead of hard boiled. I also feed berries, and peaches and mangos...lots of fruit...

here is some info to read