Calcium questions: RF hatchling

Bbrandi

Location (City and/or State)
San Diego
I’m raising my first red foot, “Lava” (as named by the kiddo) ?. Can anyone offer some feedback on calcium supplementation?

At what age should I begin? With D3 or no D3? I’ve currently got a Cuttle bone in the enclosure which is being used occasionally.
Thanks for your feedback!
8EC3EC8A-A214-44B8-BB45-5C48AEA721D3.jpeg

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I feed egg shells for calcium about once every two weeks. I also have a cuttlebone in their enclosures all the time.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I feed calcium-rich greens (you can ask Google for a list), then I add a pinch of calcium powder over the food two times a week. I don't use D3 because my babies are under a UVB light. Once they are big enough to go outside, they will be manufacturing their own D3 from the sun.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I use the brown Repashy "Superveggie" powder.
Or I chip away at a cuttlebone with a small file and use the dust.
A Redfoot that is past that delicate baby stage should need no additional supplements with a varied diet and access to some UVB.
Keep a cuttlebone handy off and on throughout the animals lifetime

Bbrandi

San Diego
We have room outdoors when it’s time, but in the meantime, I have a uvb tube I’m running 5 hours a day. I can also give several outdoor opportunities every week (I have a predator safe cage). The summer temps here are 70-90 and the humidity is about 60%. Is that safe for a 3 mo old Redfoot (with a hide and water dish)?

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
We have room outdoors when it’s time, but in the meantime, I have a uvb tube I’m running 5 hours a day. I can also give several outdoor opportunities every week (I have a predator safe cage). The summer temps here are 70-90 and the humidity is about 60%. Is that safe for a 3 mo old Redfoot (with a hide and water dish)?
The humidity should be kept higher around the 80-100% to prevent Pyramiding, at this stage of life it’s better for the tortoise to be kept in a closed chamber. 60% isn’t high enough, the temperature should stay between the 80-89