Calcium

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
CedarCreekLake, Texas
Samson, my 3 yo sulcata, lives outside full time now and eats only grass, weeds... Since I no longer feed him spring mix I don't know how to give him calcium! Any ideas?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Cuttle bones are a good idea.

Opuntia cactus pads and mulberry leaves are high in calcium too.

No reason you can leave out some spring mix or a head of endive with the calcium on it.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
You'd find the cuttle bone at pet stores, they're made for birds. :)
Hi, and thanks your post.

I'd read about cuttle bone, however such things are NOT available here in Jordan. (Some of the kind and generous members offered to send me some).

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hi, and thanks your post.

I'd read about cuttle bone, however such things are NOT available here in Jordan. (Some of the kind and generous members offered to send me some).
Like I said I use egg shells . I dry them out for 24 hours then I run them though a coffee grinder to make them a powder and put the powder on their food. And I've been doing this for 15years and egg shells should have less sodium then cuddle bones .

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Like I said I use egg shells . I dry them out for 24 hours then I run them though a coffee grinder to make them a powder and put the powder on their food. And I've been doing this for 15years and egg shells should have less sodium then cuddle bones .
Thanks very much your help and advice. I'm going to have to try that soon.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Lots of calcium rich natural foods is the best way to go.
And if your soil is rich in calcium, then the diet may be sufficient, but I imagine a sulcata would use a LOT of calcium whilst growing, so a supplement may be useful to be certain.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
That's a good idea. And once again thanks a lot your help.
And I believe in the wild every tort will eat old egg shells laying on the ground be they bird or reptile before they will find a cuddle bone on the ground . But I could be wrong ! Have a great tort day !

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
And I believe in the wild every tort will eat old egg shells laying on the ground be they bird or reptile before they will find a cuddle bone on the ground . But I could be wrong ! Have a great tort day !
Thanks VERY MUCH! Enjoy your day/night.

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CedarCreekLake, Texas
Cuttle bones are a good idea.

Opuntia cactus pads and mulberry leaves are high in calcium too.

No reason you can leave out some spring mix or a head of endive with the calcium on it.
How often should I offer calcium? I haven't had any luck finding a mulberry tree and my cactus hasn't grown enough keep him satisfied!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Cuttlefish bone may be left in his enclosure so he can eat it when he wishes.
Some torts won't touch it though, so you may have to sprinkle calcium on his food a couple of times a week.