calculating enclosure size

Status
Not open for further replies.

ukphd

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hello
I'm re-building and extending my tortoise table for my female T. graeca iberia and I know that I've come across a formula somewhere that gives the minimum size for an enclosure based on tortoise size but I can't seem to find it now.
I just wondered if anyone knows what it is? or where I can find it? :)

I'm going to be making it as big as I can but I want to be sure it's well above the minimum size and if possible make it large enough to last a good few years.

thanks
Nancy :)

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Hi Nancy,
What's the largest size table you can fit in the spot?

Danny

ukphd

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:
Hi Nancy,
What's the largest size table you can fit in the spot?

Danny

Well basically I'm in negotiations with my mother (I'm living with her temporarily). The room it's in at the moment can take 9 feet long by about 3 feet max which I thought was probably too small for the female. But I could move it to a different room. Clearly I want to make it as large as possible but I also want to placate my mother so it's a delicate balancing act! :)

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
In a book I ran across YEARS ago on lab care for animals, it gave 100 square inches per inch of shell length as a goal for tortoises. The book was quite general, so did not discuss specific species needs, but the number seems useful.

One trick for increasing footage is to make the table double-decker. A second story with a wide, gentle ramp with good traction adds tortoise space without making the table any bigger. The area under the 2nd story also automatically becomes darker and usually cooler and the top deck is usually bright and warm- better thermoregulation!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Nancy,
9' X 3', for just the female, is great for an inside enclosure. :D Even 8' X 3' is good.

Danny

ukphd

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Oh Hurrah!
Thanks Danny and thanks Madkins007 for that useful guide.
:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.