California desert tortoise (hibernation)

65redroses

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Cayucos California
I decided to hibernate my tortoises as it was hard trying to get them to eat and keep them awake. So I placed them both Ina box with stredded paper and placed them in a dark cool room downstairs. It stays very cool downstairs. I check them everyday and I put them down Nov. 13. Today I checked on them and one has pooped. Do I need to worry or will they be fine. Not sure what to do. They are 3 years old. Thanks.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
RE: California desert tortoise

Did you keep them warm and stop feeding for at least two weeks?

Did you do daily soaks during that time?

How cool is cool? What is the temperature in the room downstairs?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
RE: California desert tortoise

one has pooped.

No need to freak out/worry. I would just remove the gift and keep an eye on them...after a couple weeks I would bring them out in a quiet environment (don't expose to bright light/high heat) and offer up a soak for at least 30 minutes...dry em off and place back in hibernacle...and keep an eye on them at 1 week, 2 week, 3 week and work up to monthly checks...:D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I unplugged the doorways to my tortoises hibernatoriums yesterday and some of them came out. It was cold and today its raining. They are all now back inside.

65redroses

5 Year Member
Cayucos California
When do desert tortoises start waking up? Do you need to bring them out to wake them up. Or will they just start to wake up on there own? Thanks

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
You have them boxed in a downstairs room right? Have you checked in on them recently? If they are in a box then I would closely examine the inside walls of the box for signs of a tort trying to get out (since you may not be able to hear them) if yes, then for sure start the wake up process....if not, then you will need to decide what you will do, I mean you said that this is the first time you brumated these torts right? You will need to decide if you will bring the box out of the dark and into an area that will have sunlight to offer up the opportunity for ques....

If you are in a place that is warm enough in the day and sufficient night temps then I bet if you bring them out of the dark they will do what it is they do :D

When they do wake, I would make sure to offer up a long warm water soak....