Calling on indian star owners residing in INDIA

Hari8689

Location (City and/or State)
Mumbai - India
Give her kothmir and kakdi and methi if rain has started in your area and dudhi and gawar and fansi (french beans)
Isme se jo b khati hai khilao.
Hibiscus flower in hindi (gudail) she will like it very much. You can feed 2-3 flowers per day. Kali bhi khila sakte ho agar phool khila nai toh.

Hari8689

Mumbai - India
No fruits. It is better you dont give them any food. It will be a bad habit again. And health problem.
Try vegetables

black ninja

indore (madhya Pradesh) India
hey dude!
nyc to meet u. i also have an indian star tortoise and i wanna know afew basic things abt it... can u plz help me bro?

Photo0723_zps73575bb6.jpg

and this is his outdoor enclosure:
photo0063_zps189f49e0.jpg

His Diet:
hibiscus flower and greens
cilantro(dhaniya)
fenugreek(methi) in winter
cucumber(kheera)
lawn grass( variety)[/QUOTE]

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
should i give fruits to my tortoise
if yes then which fruits
fruits are a BIG NO NO, as they contain high sugars which are not digested by grazing species of tortoise like Indian Star Tortoise.

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
Here is what i suggest you to do:
Initially start with cucumber only, serve chopped cucumber and nothing else. If they don't eat then let it be that way, starve them and don't worry as tortoises can go without food for days. After few days they will develop a liking for cucumber as it closely resembles tomato in texture and water content. When they start eating cucumber you can initiate the transition from cucumber to fibrous greens. Chop the greens/veggies, mentioned in the diet list, finely and mix with chopped cucumber to make a salad. They might not like the transition first but they will eventually get used to it. It isn't hard to transition from established taste to new flavour when the changes are subtle. Slowly increase the amount of veggies and decrease the amount of cucumber. This method has worked on three tortoise under my supervision and it has never failed me. The key here is patience.

Diet List:
Hibiscus Leaves and Flowers(gudhal ke phool aur patte) (very very very important and can be fed regularly)
Fenugreek(Methi patta)
Coriander(Dhaniya patta)
Grass( not treated with chemical)
Carrot greens( Gaajjar ke patte)
Radish Greens (Mulli ke patte)
Beetroot Greens( chukunder ke patte)
Jasminum Sambac leaves and flower (Mogra ke patte)
Opuntia cactus pads (without spines)
Romaine lettuce
cucumber

I know it is hard to find all of the aforementioned items, the more you find the better. The only requirement is diligence and patience.

@dheeraj rajan

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
how will i know age of my tortoise ??
why are you so keen on knowing the age of your tort? your first priority is to get the diet, enclosure and the up keeping right. Then you can focus on things like age and all.

Hari8689

Mumbai - India
Dheeraj bhai jitna aapko woh pic mein diya hai woh 6 mahine karo.
Sir please follow the diet which i have sent in that pic for atleast a year or two.
You are not having birds that you are trying to know this much. The tort will live till your third or fourth generation if you give them proper diet..home or enclouser and light and soaking.
Only few things will make them bigger. Last and only thing. You will have to do it yourself only.
Suggestion and efforts are far difference things.

S.Seth

Hi Shanu, I am keeping my four stars in a three side covered balcony (sort of). From one side it is exposed to direct sunlight & wind, on the roof top.
Could you suggest, should I continue to keep them there in rainy & cold seasons or should I move them to a fully covered area?
Secondly in the present en-closer, I have put two normal bulbs for heating purpose, which I use, as & when required depending upon the mercury movement.

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
hey do u guys have a ceramic heat emitter even though the weather is already hot?
i do not use any kind of appliance in the summer, in winters i use a room heater to heat up the room where i keep my Star.

monsteramp

dimension X
my star keeps going into her hide to sleep. she eats when i hand feed but starts walking back to the hide when i put the food down. she still poop. i have a mvb but she don't want to bask, always go back into the dark hide. my climate is tropical, temps 27-30 celsius. i keep her indoor enclosure 6x3 feet, with coco husk and fir bark substrate. there's no signs of mucus or anything bad that i can see. except her inactive behaviour, its worrying

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
my star keeps going into her hide to sleep. she eats when i hand feed but starts walking back to the hide when i put the food down. she still poop. i have a mvb but she don't want to bask, always go back into the dark hide. my climate is tropical, temps 27-30 celsius. i keep her indoor enclosure 6x3 feet, with coco husk and fir bark substrate. there's no signs of mucus or anything bad that i can see. except her inactive behaviour, its worrying
it is normal for tortoises to hide for the most part of the day, as long as she/he is eating and pooping and has clear nose and eyes, everything is fine.
Do you live in India? if so then where in India did you find the MVB?

monsteramp

dimension X
im worried she's not getting enough uvb because she hides in the dark all the time. i don't live in india though.. u can try shipping a few(to save shipping cost) bulbs from amazon. for my country (not US), above a certain amount u get free shipping.

Last edited: