Curious about indian states that the star is native to

Kriti

Location (City and/or State)
India
Hi . Can anyone please tell me which states in india does a star belong to . I could not find this information anywhere and I believe knowing that will help us to take better care of our torts.Thanks.

Kriti

India
Hello . 😃😃 Do you mean to say its found all over india ? .India has 28 states and 9 union territories with widely varying environmental conditions. So I thought that it might be found in specific states of India.

zovick

5 Year Member
Hello . 😃😃 Do you mean to say its found all over india ? .India has 28 states and 9 union territories with widely varying environmental conditions. So I thought that it might be found in specific states of India.
Here is a quote regarding the range of the Indian Star Tortoise from Ernst and Barbour's Turtles of the World, a very well respected book on chelonians:

"Distribution: The star tortoise ranges in peninsular India from Orissa in the east and Sind and Kutch in the west southward to the tip (Minton, 1966). It also occurs in Sri Lanka, and on other small offshore islands where its only fresh water comes from the monsoons."

So going by this, the Star Tortoise occurs in the southern portion of India. I am not overly familiar with the names of all the states in India, but if you have that knowledge, I am sure you can figure it out. Or just pick whatever state is the nearest to Sri Lanka and you'll be safe.

I think Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Kerala, and Tamil Nadu are all within the range of the Indian Star Tortoise.

Kriti

India
Here is a quote regarding the range of the Indian Star Tortoise from Ernst and Barbour's Turtles of the World, a very well respected book on chelonians:

"Distribution: The star tortoise ranges in peninsular India from Orissa in the east and Sind and Kutch in the west southward to the tip (Minton, 1966). It also occurs in Sri Lanka, and on other small offshore islands where its only fresh water comes from the monsoons."

So going by this, the Star Tortoise occurs in the southern portion of India. I am not overly familiar with the names of all the states in India, but if you have that knowledge, I am sure you can figure it out. Or just pick whatever state is the nearest to Sri Lanka and you'll be safe.

I think Karnataka, Andrha, Kerala, and Tamil Nadu are all within the range of the Indian Star Tortoise.
Thanks a lot . This was really helpful. 🙂🙂

zovick

5 Year Member
Thanks a lot . This was really helpful. 🙂🙂
You are welcome. Did you notice the name of one state was a bit off in my original post? It should have said Andrha Pradesh.

Good luck with your tortoises.

Kriti

India
It should have said andhra pradesh but pradesh means region or area , so it's often called as just andhra . So I hadn't noticed . 😃😃