Can a tortoise table be kept under a window?

Welcome_Ghosts

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
I moved a few days ago and placed my Russian tortoise’s open-topped table in one of the upstairs bedrooms, which has two windows. Is it okay to have the table sitting directly under one of those windows? If I notice a cold draft leaking in during the winter, I’ll obviously move the table (or have the window replaced). I’m moreso concerned about there being TOO much natural light, since the room is very small.

At my old place, the table was kept far from the window in the room, which allowed the cool side of the table to remain fairly dark. It is now well-lit, but there is still a log hideout at that end. The temperatures seem stable so far.

I reside in the Northeastern United States. My tortoise lives indoors year-round but gets plenty of time outside during the spring/summer/early autumn.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
I see no reason why not but they do need dark from around 16.00 onwards to sleep so you need curtains and also watch for fire hazard, that there is distance electrics to fabric.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's a problem if the sun shines thru that window and makes the enclosure too hot. Also the uvb doesnt go thru glass so you will still need to provide uvb.

Welcome_Ghosts

Pennsylvania
It's a problem if the sun shines thru that window and makes the enclosure too hot. Also the uvb doesnt go thru glass so you will still need to provide uvb.
It’s a wooden open-topped table - no glass involved! There is also a mercury vapor bulb hanging above the “hot end.” 🙂

Welcome_Ghosts

Pennsylvania
I see no reason why not but they do need dark from around 16.00 onwards to sleep so you need curtains and also watch for fire hazard, that there is distance electrics to fabric.
Got it! I have blinds up, but I’ll be sure to hang some curtains, as well. I appreciate the quick response!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It’s a wooden open-topped table - no glass involved! There is also a mercury vapor bulb hanging above the “hot end.” 🙂
She was talking about the glass that makes up the window. No UV will get through it.

I think the enclosure should be fine there as long as: #1. It doesn't get too hot in full direct sun and #2. The tortoise has shady areas not in full sun to hide and feel secure.

More info: MVBs are not a good way to go> They have proven unreliable and their UV output can be anywhere from way too much to not enough. If you are going to run those and rely on them for indoor UV for several months of each year, you will definitely need a Solarmeter 6.5 to verify the UV output regularly.