Horsefield tortoise housing

KSA05

Location (City and/or State)
Wolverhampton
Ive had my horsefield male since around 2015 and have 99% of the time kept him indoors inside a viv. As I live in the UK, he goes outside when it is warm either on the grass in the garden or in his outdoor enclosure in the greenhouse. However I am wanting to move away from the viv and bring the tort table from the greenhouse inside l, however doing this in the past resulted in him not eating and getting quite unwell despite there being a closed top section with a ceramic heater and a basking lamp with UV in there. I am wondering what I can do to keep the table warm so he can permanently be in there and be happier, I have attached pics of the table below (it is without the UV and the heat lamp and closed top due to it being summer and outdoors when this pic was taken)

Attachments

• 674A66A1-50D2-47BC-B3D2-40776FAF1650.png
    674A66A1-50D2-47BC-B3D2-40776FAF1650.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
  • DB208DF5-CB1A-487B-A532-ED452A80F027.jpeg
    DB208DF5-CB1A-487B-A532-ED452A80F027.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 2

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
First he needs a minimum of a 4x8 foot enclosure.
No sand it can cause impaction.
He needs a incandescent flood bulb, 65 watt at least for basking
Tube fluorescent for uvb and ceramic heat emitter for added day heat and night heat.
Basking temp should reach 95-100 at tort height.
Uvb on for 4 hours a day
Over all day temp 80 and night temp 70 not lower seeing you are not brumating him. Also keep it brightly lit during the day so he stays up.
Humidity 30-50%
Also do not feed fruit. It's too high in sugars and their gut can't handle it

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ive had my horsefield male since around 2015 and have 99% of the time kept him indoors inside a viv. As I live in the UK, he goes outside when it is warm either on the grass in the garden or in his outdoor enclosure in the greenhouse. However I am wanting to move away from the viv and bring the tort table from the greenhouse inside l, however doing this in the past resulted in him not eating and getting quite unwell despite there being a closed top section with a ceramic heater and a basking lamp with UV in there. I am wondering what I can do to keep the table warm so he can permanently be in there and be happier, I have attached pics of the table below (it is without the UV and the heat lamp and closed top due to it being summer and outdoors when this pic was taken)
Start here and look for the temperate species care sheet near the bottom:

Most fo the care info given in pet shops and online is wrong. The wrong size enclosure, wrong type of enclosure, wrong substrate, roan temperatures and wrong lighting can all contribute to the indoor restlessness.