Can anyone help me to identify this beast of a plant in my yard?

amcgath04

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1466203966.659543.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1466203982.625944.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1466203997.447023.jpg
I live in MN. This vine has taken over my raspberry patch, climbed higher than my house and covered my fence. I see it throughout my neighborhood.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alta Loma, CA
Looks like a grape vine leaf. It is great tortoise food. My tortoises love grapes leaves.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I was thinking the same thing, grape leaf. If it is, lucky you. Great tort food, the leaf, not the grapes. To be sure, wait for a month or so and see if you get tiny grapes growing on it.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Another vote for grapes.

Did you have this same plant growing last year? I asked because it looks large to have grown in only one season, at least in my (fairly dry) climate. Grapes die back to the vine in the winter so it could have been there before, just smaller.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's probably a wild grapevine.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I'm thinking that this might not be a grape vine. That first pix really doesnt look like a true grape. Any sign of fruit? Our grape vines here in Md are full of young fruit. Seems to also be growing way too rapidly for a grapevine.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 20

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
It looks like grape to me. My grape vine used to get very few grapes. Now that I am constantly cutting leaves it gets way more.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm thinking that this might not be a grape vine. That first pix really doesnt look like a true grape. Any sign of fruit? Our grape vines here in Md are full of young fruit. Seems to also be growing way too rapidly for a grapevine.

the wild grape plants look slightly different than the ones we cultivate for fruit.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I recently saw Boston Ivy at one nursery that the leaf looked very similar. My guess would be either that or grape

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
the wild grape plants look slightly different than the ones we cultivate for fruit.

Yes, our wild grape has a distinct appearance from our neighbor's domestic plant.

Some raspberry canes are sticking up through the grape in that picture as well; their leaves confused me a bit when I first looked.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Totally agree. I have a ton of the wild stuff too. Just that the pix of that first leaf has me wondering. Also, the leaf is really large compared to average domestic or wild grapes.

amcgath04

Thanks for all your help. It is a very old wild grape vine growing all over the neighborhood. I gave a couple leaves to my Sulcata and he loved them :)