Can anyone ID this tree for me?

Trevor Ostrander

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oneonta NY
They should be fine. Glad they liked it. Try collecting some seeds and planting them indoors for the winter months.

May, Aussies, & Hermannis
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES
That is a good idea. I hear you can grow from cuttings also. I did just go to home depot and got a hibiscus that is not cold hardy. It was 50% off since it was the end of the season. I spoke to the lady in the garden center and she said they hardly even water them let alone spray them with pesticides or fertilize. I'm going to repot it and see if I can keep it alive for the winter.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
That is a good idea. I hear you can grow from cuttings also. I did just go to home depot and got a hibiscus that is not cold hardy. It was 50% off since it was the end of the season. I spoke to the lady in the garden center and she said they hardly even water them let alone spray them with pesticides or fertilize. I'm going to repot it and see if I can keep it alive for the winter.
It should be fairly easy keeping them alive indoors. I know that our Home Depot feed them Nature's miracle, so I won't by them for my tortoises. I'd try the graft for sure. Make sure you start them in cactus soil, if you do. They need good drainage.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
The ones at Home Depot/lowes are South African or South American. The rose of Sharon and it's numerous species are Korean and northern Asian. So they can tolerate snow and colder temperatures. The tropical South African or South American typically cannot. Below 40 will usually kill them. Keep it in full sun and water it a lot should bounce back.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
It should be fairly easy keeping them alive indoors. I know that our Home Depot feed them Nature's miracle, so I won't by them for my tortoises. I'd try the graft for sure. Make sure you start them in cactus soil, if you do. They need good drainage.

It OK if they feed fertilizers, you can use them too :) just wait for the fertilizers to get out of the plant (2-3 months)!

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
The ones at Home Depot/lowes are South African or South American. The rose of Sharon and it's numerous species are Korean and northern Asian. So they can tolerate snow and colder temperatures. The tropical South African or South American typically cannot. Below 40 will usually kill them. Keep it in full sun and water it a lot should bounce back.
Rose of Sharon will survive -40°C/F. They come back every year, where I live.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
I'm in zone 5. Rose of Sharon flourishes here as any other deciduous tree. I bring my potted hibiscus into the house where it flowers in the winter.

Trevor Ostrander

5 Year Member
Oneonta NY
Hibiscus need a lot of water. She told you wrong.
What I was getting at is that they neglect their plants at my HD. She wasn't saying they didn't require water. She was saying that they don't do anything to them while they are there. i.e. they hardly even water them.