Can anyone tell me why my desert tortoise's nose is so big?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
For indoor enclosures those are nice....I would however target for keeping the russian outdoors (ultimately after healed up)...the care is so in line with the desert tort so the set up can be alike---but, while you have him indoors if you are getting him outdoors to get natural uv rays then just a heat bulb would be good to keep the temps up....and at night I would also use a night heat bulb (because of the injury he can use all the opportunity for his system to be in top form to fight the ailment) so that he can remain warm.....I would also make sure to keep him hydrated (clean warm water soaks---if he soils the water while soaking I would have a jug of warm clean water to change out right away) due to he just came out of brumation in addition to the injury....does the injury have goo coming from it....oozing and such?

hollybawls

5 Year Member
ascott said:
For indoor enclosures those are nice....I would however target for keeping the russian outdoors (ultimately after healed up)...the care is so in line with the desert tort so the set up can be alike---but, while you have him indoors if you are getting him outdoors to get natural uv rays then just a heat bulb would be good to keep the temps up....and at night I would also use a night heat bulb (because of the injury he can use all the opportunity for his system to be in top form to fight the ailment) so that he can remain warm.....I would also make sure to keep him hydrated (clean warm water soaks---if he soils the water while soaking I would have a jug of warm clean water to change out right away) due to he just came out of brumation in addition to the injury....does the injury have goo coming from it....oozing and such?

I can't exactly tell if it has oozing because of the antibiotic ointment I have been putting onto it (which is gooey) but since it is beginning to scab I'd say not really.

hollybawls

5 Year Member
ascott said:
Oh good....well, keep up on it as you are and I bet all will be much better soon.....:D

Thank you :) I just gave it a nice warm bath. Like baby warm. It didn't squirm or anything but it seemed very relaxed.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Fantastic....if you let him soak for like 20-30 minutes in the warm water bath his body will take in hydration...if you see him sink his head into the water that will be awesome....drinking is desirable since he has been in brumation....:D

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
make sure the flys stay away as well..
and keep the desert tort away as well!
good save.. hope it does ok..

hollybawls

5 Year Member
Laura said:
make sure the flys stay away as well..
and keep the desert tort away as well!
good save.. hope it does ok..

No flies have been around her. and thank you so much! I will take as much care for it as I can.

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
hollybawls said:
Also, here are some more images I took today.
Unfortunately, from the research I've done, I think it might've got the goodies...http://i.imgur.com/5dvUcee.jpg
Here's another photo of the tail, I've been putting antibiotic ointment on it to prevent infection but I think it might've already got an infection so I've been pretty stressed out: http://i.imgur.com/i9nXR4y.jpg
Despite all it's been through he's still extremely sweet and not that skittish :) I just want to keep him healthy. http://i.imgur.com/Em6PuBm.jpg

Eloise said:
The shoveling story is sad but it was also an accident so I'm sure not as sad as the fact that A russian out loose in the wild with the long of a beak was probably someone's pet at one time or another and either A) let him go and didn't care what happened to him or B) he's an escape artist and ran away!! Poor guy hope the vet has some good news for you!!

I know how could somebody let him/her go like that? it's so cute! I guess people don't have a soft spot for animals like we do lol!

Is this little guy excreting any poop or urates?? With that injury I wonder if he's able??

hollybawls

5 Year Member
Yes he does go to the bathroom a few times a day. He also eats like normal and acts as if nothing is wrong. Its so strange i would be freaking out if I were in the tortoise's shoes.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
i would be freaking out if I were in the tortoise's shoes.

As a woman, well, who appreciates her goods from time to time:rolleyes:....lol..that is saying it politely,...lol :p:p

Poor little tort....sleeping, minding his own business, waiting for spring to come along---dreaming of the food and the chicks....and WHHHAAAMMM.....all of his dreams ended in one swift motion.....poor baby....

Status
Not open for further replies.