Can I buy a Diamondback Terrapin ?

Xelioszzapporro

Location (City and/or State)
Panama
If yes , then what are the optimal conditions to preserve that particular species ? Optimal temperatures ? Food ? Place to stay ? Etc.

3gjFlEQ.jpg
puOFhRt.jpg

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Are you looking to buy one from someone on the forum? Do you need information on them before you buy one?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I have no idea of you can get one in Panama. They are fairly well restricted in the US, but still available except in some native states.

They are a brackish water species with fairly specialized diets. IF you do get one, please be sure you keep it in a brackish water environment. I know lots of folks claim they have transitioned their diamondbacks to fresh water, but that is just not the case. They are extremely vulnerable to skin fungus and a puffy swelling if kept in fresh water. Their shell will not do well and they will not look as beautiful as they would if kept properly.

Xelioszzapporro

Panama
Are you looking to buy one from someone on the forum? Do you need information on them before you buy one?

Not necessarily....but it's not a bad idea either. Just wondering where can I buy them!

Do you need information on them before you buy one?

Yes!!!

I have no idea of you can get one in Panama. They are fairly well restricted in the US, but still available except in some native states.

They are a brackish water species with fairly specialized diets. IF you do get one, please be sure you keep it in a brackish water environment. I know lots of folks claim they have transitioned their diamondbacks to fresh water, but that is just not the case. They are extremely vulnerable to skin fungus and a puffy swelling if kept in fresh water. Their shell will not do well and they will not look as beautiful as they would if kept properly.

Thanx for the info of how to take care of them. Are they impossible to get them outside from USA ?

zovick

10 Year Member!
Not necessarily....but it's not a bad idea either. Just wondering where can I buy them!

Yes!!!

Thanx for the info of how to take care of them. Are they impossible to get them outside from USA ?
There are many ads for Diamondback Terrapins on Fauna Classifieds. I suggest you contact some of the sellers and see what they say about shipping one to you in Panama.

Here is the link to the turtle/tortoise sales section of site: https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54

zovick

10 Year Member!
To save you some time, this link will show you only the Diamondback Terrapin ads from Fauna:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Yes!!!

Check with your local pet shops or animal dealers. They should know what your local laws are and be able to inform you of the legalities, practicalities, and costs.