Can I do this ???

Willow_sulcata

Location (City and/or State)
Manchester uk
Willow is now getting too big for her table , I was thinking of making a big box with her lamps in that she can walk in and out of as she pleases and generally just float about the house on her own free will? Only me and my girlfriend in the house so she will be safe to do so and we have no other pets ?

chemprentice

5 Year Member
Southern California (OC)
It will still be risky because there is always the possibility that your tortoise will snack on things it shouldn't around the house, i.e. dust, hair, cords, whatever. Also, there will always be the caution of watching where you are going to make sure you don't accidentally step on your tortoise. No matter how careful you are, there is that risk that exists when your tortoise wanders around the house. Just a word of caution.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Not safe at all. Many people do this and their tortoise get sick, injured, impacted or killed. Every one of them loved their tortoise and was sure everything was as safe and supervised as can be.

Plus, unless you have floor heat set to 80 all over, your floor will be much too cool for this tropical species. Its also not a good idea to use lamps to warm larger sulcatas. It doesn't work because the heat can't reach their core and bottom and they sit under the bulb for too long and it slow-cooks the top of the carapace. You've got a large problem on your hands. This species needs warmth 24/7 and they need a huge, safe, heated area to roam. I don't know what you are going to do there.

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
You need to either custom build a new table or you need to make a night box for outdoors. Tom’s design is best, you can heat it with a RHP or small oil filled radiator.

Willow_sulcata

Manchester uk
Not safe at all. Many people do this and their tortoise get sick, injured, impacted or killed. Every one of them loved their tortoise and was sure everything was as safe and supervised as can be.

Plus, unless you have floor heat set to 80 all over, your floor will be much too cool for this tropical species. Its also not a good idea to use lamps to warm larger sulcatas. It doesn't work because the heat can't reach their core and bottom and they sit under the bulb for too long and it slow-cooks the top of the carapace. You've got a large problem on your hands. This species needs warmth 24/7 and they need a huge, safe, heated area to roam. I don't know what you are going to do there.
Thanks for your reply ! I know of a sulcata that is around 5-6 years old and has been living like that for a some years now and he looks and seems very healthy , however I have decided to scrap that idea and just get her a a very large tank/table , how would you recommend heating her then?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If Willow is the tortoise you show in your avatar picture, then definitely NO! We had a member just last year tell us of a horrific accident with her young sulcata. The tortoise was wandering around the floor of the house. The member went to close the bedroom door, not realizing the tortoise's head was between the back of the door and the door jamb. She squashed his head and he died.

No matter how careful you are or how clean your floors are, it's never a good idea to allow a tortoise to wander around on the cold floor.