Substrate Debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimTortise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
My Girlfriend and I are having a debate about the proper type of substrate to use for my Russian, so I figured I'd ask you folks to see what you think. Right now Regina is on a mixture of shredded coconut and "Reptile" bark. I'm fine with that because I know it's safe and Regina likes it. Also Regina is my Tortoise, not my girlfriend. I thought i should just clarify that.

The problem and debate comes from the fact that this weekend I'm building Regina a new house. It is going to be double the size, so that means double the substrate, maybe 3 times so it can be deeper and she can actually burrow. I'm looking for alternatives i can use to save money because buying that much Coconut shreds and bark will get expensive, especially with changing it out that much. Anyways, i suggested that I go down to the Mississippi River and get some sand and just use that instead. My girlfriend doesn't seem to think that is a good idea. What do you people think?

Also I've read on here that some people like to have a rocky area for them to crawl over so i was thinking of making an area of her new house a rocky substrate. What is the feel on that? The rocks would be big enough so she couldn't eat them, but small enough so she could still walk over them easily. I appreciate all input. Thanks.

M

Maggie Cummings

Sand causes impaction in tortoises. I use cypress mulch for my animals, not rocks or sand. Some use coir and some use orchid bark...

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I would leave what ever is in the Mississippi river there. Cypress mulch will work and the large bags from stores like home depot or lowes doesn't cost that much...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ditto. Huge risk of pathogen introduction with sand or dirt from the "wild". Sounds like you are ready to stop shopping at the pet store and start shopping at the hard ware store. Welcome to the club!

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I use coco coir, but, the good people on here have told me that as long as u keep the coir cleaned out good u don't need to do a full substrate change very often. I seem to remember some going as long as 6-8 months between a full change, but, my mind is about gone so somebody may want to refresh my memory. I was change'n Coopers every 2-3 weeks before I got that money saving input! But up to u what u use but I wouldn't use the river sand/dirt. Have a great day! :)

CGKeith

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arizona
I think you will get a number of different answers as to what to use. But, I don't think you will get many telling you to use sand from the river. :)

Several choices you might be able to get in big bags at your hard ware store that you can use or make a mixture of are organic top soil, peat moss, cypress mulch. The cypress mulch may be hard to get depending on your area. Our hard ware stores here in Arizona don't carry it.

You will find that everything has pros and cons. Try something and if you don't like it try something else.

Some are "dirtier" than others, while some may mold quicker than others and some dry out a lot fast than. You just have to find out what you like best.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
All you need to do is double the bark! You won't spend any extra money, because you'll boil the substrate every couple weeks or so and keep using the same batch! That's what I do! I bought 3 bricks of coco coir and 10 quarts of coconut bark two years ago...and it's still going strong! NEVER had any mold (or spores of any kind)! NEVER had any bugs of any kind!

My mixture is about 75-80% coconut bark...20-25% coco coir!

BTW...I still have one brick of coco coir that hasn't been used;)

slowpoke

5 Year Member
colorado springs, colorado
Yea i wouldnt use any thing out of the Mississippi River , even the fish lol ... and no sand !!! i use the coco coir mixed with cypress , works good for me ... but like CGKeith some things i cant find at ACE or Homedepot so i have to use the money hungry pet stores lol ...

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
No sand! Not only can it cause impaction, think of all the pollution from the river - oil and sewage and all that junk.

You can go to most big box hardware stores like Home Depot or Lowes and get large bags of cypress mulch for about $3 a bag, depending on where you live. Much better choice.

How often are you changing substrate? I pick out the poop and food bits, but haven't really "changed" it in years. I think you are going to hear that more than you think.

TimTortise

5 Year Member
Iowa
I just did a full change. after about a month of having her. I guess I don't know how often you need to change out the substrate. I guess I'll have to say shes right haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.