Can I post that I want plants here? Winter hardy hibiscus

Status
Not open for further replies.

moswen

5 Year Member
Sorry guys, don't know if I can post plants here or not. I want a few winter hardy hibiscus if I could get some. Seeds or small plants, any color, I'm not picky. The only thing I require is that they be cheap! I'm annoyed with paying $30 for one plant that won't last thru winter and I can't even feed it out for the first month I have it!

I'm also up for a trade, I have some nice thin (easy to eat) opuntia cuts that are dried over and ready to plant and virtually spineless, one 10 inch aloe plant I can dig up, and a whole bunch of tortoise-edible seeds, mostly landscaping plants but a few vegetables and greens. This fall I'm going to order some dwarf elephant grass (very healthy an a good hedge/visual barrier for your torts) from here:

http://www.sulcatafood.com/Store.html

if you want some I would order a few and send to your address. Thanks!

oscar

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
I have been given root stock in the spring two years ago but was told it was rose of sharon. The rose of sharon and hibiscus are related, My plants are chest high now being there second year and I feed leaves and flowers to my red foots and they love them, I live in IL 60 miles south of Chicago and would to send you some seeds when I get them later in the summer but you might be better off with some root stock and can send you some of that but might be better to get them in the spring. They seem to be the last thing to come up in the spring and mine die back during the winter.
steve

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I have two small packs of various color rose of sharon (hibiscus syriacus)that I got as a little free bonus when I bought a couple of larger plants a couple of months ago. Anyway, I never planted, and if you want them, pm me with your name and address. No charge, I'll even buy the stamp.

M

Maggie Cummings

It's the Rose of Sharon that make it thru the winter. They make beautiful plants. I have 2 I've grown from seed and they are now large with large blooms, in 5 years...

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I also have plenty of Rose of Sharon seed left over from last year. No charge here either....If you want some just pm me.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Did Maggie get banned?
I would love some rose of sharon seeds. Let me know if you have any left. I shouldn't take them if anyone else needs them though, because I have hibiscus bushes.

M

Maggie Cummings

Yes I was banned until Josh and the moderator team could decide what to do with me. I got a formal warning instead.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
maggie3fan said:
It's the Rose of Sharon that make it thru the winter. They make beautiful plants. I have 2 I've grown from seed and they are now large with large blooms, in 5 years...

Not quite true. BOTH the Rose of Sharon (Althea) and the hardy hibiscus survive winters. The difference is the hardy hibiscus dies down to the root stock each winter. They are also very late in coming up in the spring, so late you often believe they are dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.