can i stop this pyramiding?

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
Not really sure, but the new growth looks like it is coming in smooth. In time the existing pyramiding will become less noticeable. The driest place I see in the pictures is the basking spot in your indoor enclosure. It's good that you don't use it often. Since your tortoise is outside every day you probably don't need an indoor basking spot. Just provide a night time heat source that keeps the enclosure at 80°-85°F.

gingerbee

5 Year Member
Washington state
Wow jealous of your weather!! I'm in the usa Pacific Northwest I fight to get humidity and heat!! Nice to hear from others around the world. You've got a cutie there who will thrive in your care!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have also stopped pyramiding in progress. Read here about Daisy: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/meet-toms-sulcatas.56465/

I don't know how it will work in your climate outdoors. Every time someone keeps them outdoors a lot here in the states, it tends to slow their growth tremendously and make pyramiding worse. Maybe it will be different in your climate. You'll have to let us know.

Your leopards look great. Their shells don't need any "saving". The newer growth already looks better than the old and I don't think you should be too concerned at this point. Another year or two from now and you will hardly be able to tell there was ever a problem.

J.P.

5 Year Member
Philippines
I realize i failed to post the reply.
@Tom,
Thanks for pointing me to the topic, but beleive me, i have read your sulcata/leopard topics, some more than a few times. no need to preach to the choir as they say:)....i really want to copy your method to the letter, but i really see a huge difference in feeding/activity when they are outside so i am giving them more time outside than what you recommend. and i also considered our climate since most days, RH is above 70% outside, not too dry compared to their 80% closed chamber so i hope it won't matter. i still soak and spray shells several times daily, and water the ground to keep humidity as high as possible..

btw, Daisy is a sulcata so i can't consider her as a becnhmark, since I understand pyramiding is more pronounced in leopards. I would appreciate if somebody can point me to a thread showing a bumpy hatchling/juvenile grows to a relatively smooth adult. i think most start hatchlings and shells are smooth right from the start.

my torts are gaining some weight, but growth lines aren't that visible yet. i'll post photos soon and will be using this topic as a progresion thread.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
since I understand pyramiding is more pronounced in leopards.

I can't say I agree. Both species are very prone to pyramiding in captivity. While I don't have one for you, there are lots of leopards on this site that started out on the wrong path, but began growing smoothly in the right conditions.

We have member here in Florida which is similarly humid and warm like your climate most of the year. There tortoises exhibit the same slower growth and tendencies toward pyramiding when kept outside a lot as hatchlings as they do anywhere else. I can't tell you why. Something about being indoors in a proper set up just agrees with them.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
This photo is of a yearling leopard tortoise I had aquired. He was started dry then moved into the humid environment.

334knfb.jpg

This photo is the same tortoise after a year or so of new growth.

2u8x9wo.jpg

He's now with @Jtort and she also uses an indoor chamber. I'm not sure if you can tell a difference but I do think his growth came in better after being switched to a humid environment. The bumps went from sharp spikes to flat spaces in between them. Make sense?

Anyway, your guy will be just fine. He reminds me of Benny from @Sh3wulf . Benny's pictures at 4months old kinda look like your guy and Benny looks great now. Not "perfectly" smooth but still pretty wonderful and beautiful!

J.P.

5 Year Member
Philippines
@Tom,
I am convinced that closed chamber most of the time is better for their shell, i am thingking about building a greenhouse type of encolsure that will let the sun in but prevent humidity from escaping. they really love being outside, and it shows in their appettite/activity levels when compring indoor vs. oudoor.

Team Gromberg,
Thank you for your photos. it is exactly what i'm looking for.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tom,
I am convinced that closed chamber most of the time is better for their shell, i am thingking about building a greenhouse type of encolsure that will let the sun in but prevent humidity from escaping.

I have no experience with this, but it sure seems like it would work well as long as temperatures are in the right range. Please keep us posted.

Kathy Coles

5 Year Member
North Carolina
Don't be afraid to give them a place to bury into. If they want to dig into a nice warm, damp pile of moss that would be good for the humidity problem. A warm, moist hide is good. But I emphasize the warm aspect. Cool and wet would be a problem.

kmartin

central Florida
All of mine are outside most of the year. Like your climate the humidity in Florida is really high most of the time, especially in the summer. Mine still get 'watered'. The only pyramiding that mine show is an older Hermanns the was raised 'the old way.' Inside and dry, not even a water bowl. Knowing what I know now, I cringe knowing I tortured him that first two years of his life. Florida is considered a Mediterranean climate, once I realized that he went outside in a safe enclosure and his new growth came in smooth. My leopard was bred here and started outside and is about the same size as yours and is smooth. New growth is indented but smooths out as it seems to fill in. She hates coming inside when it's cold and even with basking lights prefers her hide box. Her appetite drops off, too, even with being soaked.

puffy137

increase humidity even if it's aready 80%?

these guys are with me one month and i got them like that...i used the closed chamber based on what i read here..and 80% seems to be what i remember...has the recommended figure gone higher now?
increase humidity even if it's aready 80%?

these guys are with me one month and i got them like that...i used the closed chamber based on what i read here..and 80% seems to be what i remember...has the recommended figure gone higher now?
Just don't overfeed them & give them exercise, ( a treadmill would be good ) just joking !

J.P.

5 Year Member
Philippines
All of mine are outside most of the year. Like your climate the humidity in Florida is really high most of the time, especially in the summer. Mine still get 'watered'. The only pyramiding that mine show is an older Hermanns the was raised 'the old way.' Inside and dry, not even a water bowl. Knowing what I know now, I cringe knowing I tortured him that first two years of his life. Florida is considered a Mediterranean climate, once I realized that he went outside in a safe enclosure and his new growth came in smooth. My leopard was bred here and started outside and is about the same size as yours and is smooth. New growth is indented but smooths out as it seems to fill in. She hates coming inside when it's cold and even with basking lights prefers her hide box. Her appetite drops off, too, even with being soaked.

i would love to see your leopard. the behavior sounds exactly like mine...