Can i touch and play with my baby Sulcatas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lana Dhaou

Location (City and/or State)
United Arab Emirates
You raise your sulcatas how you want just don’t ask why one is not growing, why one is hiding, why one can’t open his eyes, than just remember what all the members told you. You go back read all the posts on how you think it is all cute, and how they should leave together.
I think you know what you want and you made your mind.
Also you posted before you have done all the the research before you got them .... yet you don’t even have a correct enclosure.
Don’t get me wrong I asked people 100 times about the lightbulbs but I never argue with an experienced, successful breeder. I follow their directions to provide best life for my sulcata.
How many times people said lettuce it’s not a good food, you say you read the care sheet yet you keep feeding it lettuce.
This is being slightly pointless.
We gave you all the advice, care sheets, shared the knowledge. Now you have all the information and you can just follow it or start a blog on how I didn’t listen ... there is no need for more posts about your sulcata problems when you simply denying to follow any of the advice.
Personally no I don’t let kids touch my tortoise. Kids are gross, they stick fingers in their nose, butts and who knows where else. Hatchlings are too precious. They will drop one, step on one and say oh.
But hey I already know you have your mind made up on that too. So good luck!

I'm not disagreeing with anyone, we're just having a simple discussion, after all this is what the form is about right? Having discussions, giving advice, asking questions, and other things, I follow everything in the care sheets and everything you say, I might occasionally say "but other people said it's ok" or "I think it's ok" because this is how people discuss, but in the end, I do what's correct, this is a platform for communication, not for being rude and saying others are stupid because they're asking questions, this is my first time raising a sulcata, or a tortoise in general, so I'm asking many questions to make sure I am doing everything correctly, I sometimes get confused because there are many information, a person told me lettuce is good for them, and you're saying it's not, so I get kind of confused and don't know what to do, you would definitely be confused too if you didn't have any experience and multiple people are telling you opposite information, I didn't mean to not listen to someone, I'm just asking questions, I don't have any problems with my tortoises by the way, all the threads I post are questions because I'm curious and love to learn new stuff! My threads are not tortoise problems, you can check all the threads I post, they're just questions they are not about problems with my tortoise, it's not good to bring others down because they're asking questions, besides you can't say I don't have the correct enclosure when you don't even know how my enclosure looks like and have never seen it. Don't be rude, it's either answer my question simply and clearly, or if you're gonna be rude, don't answer it and let other people who are actually polite and know how to talk without being rude answer, I will delete this thread because it's becoming toxic and rude after your super rude and in polite reply, don't answer if you're gonna be rude.

Lana Dhaou

United Arab Emirates
Also you really shouldn't let your sister hold them. Honestly these guys are a "look don't touch" animal. If its necessary or when you have a tight bond, that is one thing, but generally, kids should not touch them. Kids are not reliable, and they get scared if the tortoise moves a certain way, or they lose their grip, and they will drop them. Also kids have tons of germs on their hands, and that can make a tort sick, especially as babies. Think of it the other way around too. Tortoises have a big chance of carrying salmonella. Kids will touch it, and then put their hands in their mouth and could get really sick and even die. It scares the babies, especially when they are in a new enclosure.

Here's an example of what happened from personal experience: when I was about twelve ( my tort was three) I would take him with me to a private beach to walk around on ( side note I know I shouldn't have done that. ) where there were no dogs or other animals. At the time I didn't know any better, and I let this little kid of about three touch my tort. He wanted to pick him up and his dad kept asking, so I gave in. The boy was standing in a pool of water, and he picked my little guy up. I started to get uncomfortable and ofc my instincts were right, because the boy dropped him. Thank god that he fell in the water, because he would have been so hurt. I never let any kid hold my tortoise again. It was 100% an eye opener for me ( even at 12 years old ) and I felt terrible. The point of the story is that it will happen if you let kids hold them, and you may not be so lucky as I was.

Thank you so much for giving me your experience, I'll try to let her handle them less, I'm not worried about germs because she uses gloves, I'll try to let her handle them as little as possible, thank you for calmly sharing your experience and beautifully explaining in polite words instead of saying "gross" and being rude and hurting people's feelings like some people did, we need more people like you who calmly explain without being rude in this forum. I love your way of communicating and educating.??

Lana Dhaou

United Arab Emirates
I I wouldn't let her carry them around. But touching them or sitting with them on her lamp wouldn't hurt as long as it's not all the time. You could let her carry them to bring to the soaking tub/bowl, as long as you know she wouldn't drop them.

Thank you, hey since you're a moderator can you please delete this thread? I couldn't find a delete button and the thread is getting toxic and resulting in problems and hurting my feelings and making me feel stupid just for asking questions and trying to learn about my tortoise, please delete it if you can, I really hate it and want to delete it, i was just asking about playing with my tortoise then it turned into a rude discussion, if you can delete it please do so it would be very very very very appreciated please delete it please?????

Lana Dhaou

United Arab Emirates
Sharing my experience that my small daughter is not allowed to hold our baby hermann.
I’m encouraging her to help in other ways.
She helped me plant seeds for Miguel’s food garden for ex. She waters some plants. She helps me pick fresh leaves from different plants in the morning, and regularly peeks into the enclosure to check on the food plate and make sure Miguel hasn’t flipped.
Sometimes Miguel will take the tip of a leaf from her hand, that gets her really excited.

I’m of the mind that the pleasure of having a pet is doing things right by it and getting to watch it thrive. Playing with a tortoise doesn’t come to mind.
So for us, only helping and attention that doesn’t involve touching the tortoise.

Oh really? That's very nice! I'll try to make her enjoy doing simple stuff and not physically playing with them like you did, thank you so much!!!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The OP has gotten the message of what is right and what is wrong. Now it's up to them to decide what do.
Remember they came here to get help and questions answered. Keep it friendly.

Status
Not open for further replies.