Human touch

Prairie Mom

There are lots of things I enjoy about this forum, but alright, I'll admit it...

One of my very favorite things is to see photos of members showing affection for their tortoise and observing the relaxed tortoises appear to appreciate this hands-on attention.
A few photos that come to mind are @ALDABRAMAN 's photos of his wife and large aldabras obviously enjoying their neck rubs, and @Elohi 's young tortoises snuggling up on her shoulders. I've been known to pull my whole family to the computer to check out photos that we all "melt" over.

Being inspired by other forum members, I tried to capture a few of these moments. (Occasionally, she thought the camera was weird, but you get the idea )
Does your tortoise appear to like being petted? :<3::tort::<3:
Have any photos?

Our newer young sulcata "Mavis" started out so nervous and shy. Recently, the contrast has been amazing. She now toddles to my hands for her morning soak and has begun to lay down and SPRAWL when I'm rubbing her. -It's so cute to see her (guessing female) when she's really comfortable, sprawling her legs and relaxing her head as I pet her. She looks just as relaxed as she does in her beloved warm soaks. I can only guess I must be doing something right!

mavis head pinch pet 3.jpg
We call this "the head pinch." Please know that everything we do is soft and slow and she can easily withdraw any time. When we first got her, we were lucky to rub her forehead. Then she began to relax and I noticed she seemed to like to rest her chin on my thumb as I rubbed her head.

mavis head pinch pet.jpg
I love that little face so much! She was a little nervous of the camera during our photo shoot, but eventually she didn't care and relaxed herself as she typically does. She's become so used to my hands that she allows me to remove substrate or dirt that occasionally gets in the corners of her eyes if she's been digging a lot.

mavis pet chin scratch.jpg
Chin scratches are good. I once read on a website that they'll only let you rub their neck and chin once they have begun to trust you. -YAY!

mavis neck pet under scratch.jpg
Sometimes she seems to direct me to where she wants the rub or light scratch and will be still and lightly push against the area where I'm working on her.

mavis pet resting head on soft spot between thumb.jpg
Here she decided to lay the FULL weight of her head on the soft spot between my thumb and forefinger. I'll be her pillow ANY TIME!

mavis deep neck rub pet.jpg
Deep neck rubs --I like those too, Mavis ;) It makes me feel good, like we must be a decent caregiver if she feels so safe here that she is willing to expose her full neck.

Well, there ya go! I once tried to film her during a love fest, but then she POOPED on me.:) I didn't notice one grassy feces nob fall to the floor and proceeded to step on it and track it all the way to her enclosure---nothing but grace and elegance from me, baby!!! PURE GRACE!:p

Elohi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Mavis is gorgeous and what a lovely post! Excellent pictures of her enjoying some neck rubs.

I took this this evening when I pre-rinsed Lady October before her soak.
Like you, these moments melt me.
She was so relaxed in the warm water.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1424060350.190925.jpg

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
So sweet!
My torts go through phases. Of course I haven't been able to catch any of them on camera..yet

Prairie Mom

Mavis is gorgeous and what a lovely post! Excellent pictures of her enjoying some neck rubs.

I took this this evening when I pre-rinsed Lady October before her soak.
Like you, these moments melt me.
She was so relaxed in the warm water.
View attachment 118700
Oh my goodness! Eyes closed and everything! What a sweet baby!:)

Prairie Mom

Nice head rubs! I recently noticed that our young sully is starting to relax more and more for some head rubs. Guess i'll have to keep it up - they have us keepers well trained. :)

Heres a belly rub and massage right after a warm soaking

View attachment 118706
Oh so sweet! Your sully is just perfect-SERIOUSLY: PERFECT! How adorable! That's cute that yours responds well to belly rubs. I think my Mavis would ram me;) Keep up the good work! You're right, they really do have us trained well.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
I redid lady Octobers enclosure today and now I'm exhausted. After dinner I may have to get her out and take adorable pictures LOL