Can our 5 yr.old 50 lb sulcata sleep outside in mid Fl.? Door is blocked with thick wood. How low can temp go for him to be safe?

zezike

Location (City and/or State)
Orlando, Florida
Can our 5 yr. old 50 lb. Sulcata Sleep outside in mid Fl. Winter weather in largest igloo, covered all around with dirt and some stone? Door opening is blocked safely with thick wood. How low can temperature go in order for him to be safe?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You will have to have a heat source to keep him at 80 on the colder days and nights.
Take a look at Tom's night box thread. He lives in CA and uses the 4x8 for his sulcatas.

zezike

Orlando, Florida
You will have to have a heat source to keep him at 80 on the colder days and nights.
Take a look at Tom's night box thread. He lives in CA and uses the 4x8 for his sulcatas.
Thank you for your reply. I have to figure out how to find his post

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
Thank you for your reply. I have to figure out how to find his post
I only have a little Russian, but I can help you with Tom’s thread!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Can our 5 yr. old 50 lb. Sulcata Sleep outside in mid Fl. Winter weather in largest igloo, covered all around with dirt and some stone? Door opening is blocked safely with thick wood. How low can temperature go in order for him to be safe?
Your tortoise needs an insulated, sealed, closable box with a safe heat source controlled by a thermostat. Dog houses of any kind do not work. Those are made for dogs, and they don't work well for tortoises. I've tried Dogloos, various dog houses, deck boxes and plastic sheds over the years, and they just don't work.

You get a few cold nights up in Orlando, so I would set the thermostat to 80 ad just leave it there. If it is warmer than that day or night, the thermostat will just keep the heat source off.

I use the 4x4 boxes for single sulcatas, and 4x8 boxes for multiples. Here are both of those:

Make sure he is in there and close the door every night. This will protect him from rats, raccoons, fire ants, and any other critters while he sleeps at night. Open the door each morning, and he can come out when he wants.

zezike

Orlando, Florida
Your tortoise needs an insulated, sealed, closable box with a safe heat source controlled by a thermostat. Dog houses of any kind do not work. Those are made for dogs, and they don't work well for tortoises. I've tried Dogloos, various dog houses, deck boxes and plastic sheds over the years, and they just don't work.

You get a few cold nights up in Orlando, so I would set the thermostat to 80 ad just leave it there. If it is warmer than that day or night, the thermostat will just keep the heat source off.

I use the 4x4 boxes for single sulcatas, and 4x8 boxes for multiples. Here are both of those:

Make sure he is in there and close the door every night. This will protect him from rats, raccoons, fire ants, and any other critters while he sleeps at night. Open the door each morning, and he can come out when he wants.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you very much Tom for your reply,very useful information, We will follow your advice
Well in that case... Here are a couple more threads that should help with the build:

Questions are welcome! :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sorry, I thought the 4x8 was for a single sulcata and 4x4 for smaller. A 4x4 makes it cheaper, less sheets of plywood needed.