Can Redfoots Eat Hornworms?

redfoots333

My dad bought some hornworms for our chameleons and I was wondering if my tortoise could also eat hornworms since sh hasn't had any protein in a wile. Thanks in advance!:)

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Never heard of horn worms? ??? But they can and will eat bugs and worms . I would feed them . If lizards eat them they should not harm your red.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
The worm will simply turn into a moth....not a hazard...and I would bet that the tort would also consume the end result, the moth, if ever given the chance...I mean, a redfoot can and do consume mice and other meaty, crunchy morsels....of course there is no harm in researching, actually there is only benefit that comes from research....:) Actually, although we would LOVE to only feed offerings that are from a species native land, sometimes we improvise with the most like items, I mean, I don't believe that there are Spring Mix bars in most state/countries--but that substitute works well too...

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
She should be okay with the hornworms. The problem would be more from what the hornworm had eaten. Ones raised for reptile consumption should be okay, but for instance if you find a wild one out in your tomato patch those I would not feed, because they were eating on tomato leaves.