Can someone help me identify this?

Location (City and/or State)
Abu Dhabi
I found these in a pet store and i'm not too sure which species they are. The one shown was roughly 10 cm or 3 inch. and weighed around 100 grams (3.5 ounces) give or take. Can you guys identify it? (If i'm not handling the tort correctly, feel free to correct me.)Tortoise3.jpg Tortoise2.jpg Tortoise4.jpg Tortoise1.jpg

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
Definitely a Testudo graeca (Greek). The Greeks have random black spotting on their bellies which helps to differentiate them from other Mediterranean species.

Based on the yellow coloring of the carapace with the black spots on the scutes, I would say Testudo graeca terrestris (Mesopotamian). More commonly called the "Golden Greek."

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Welcome to the forum! Your new tort is very pretty. Do you know how to take care of them yet? Pet stores often give bad care advice and there is a lot of bad and conflicting information online. This forum is full of the best care advice and you can trust the information you find here. Here are some good threads to start with for basic care...
https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/greek-tortoise-testudo-graeca-care-sheet-overview.87146/

https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Have fun with your new torts and feel free to ask lots of questions. It can be tricky to get their enclosures set up properly at first but we are here to help :)

Abu Dhabi
Oh, i didn't purchase it yet, but i've been considering it for a while. The one i just showed, is it in good health?

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Oh I see. Well he looks good and healthy from the outside but you never know about the inside. I'm not experienced in pet store purchases so maybe another member has better advice but... I think the main thing an adult tortoise could have is parasites. It's normal for them to have some parasites but an overgrowth could be a problem or if they've picked up a parasite from a different species of animal that they aren't equipped to deal with. Also he probably has a terrible diet that you'll need to work to change. I often hear people recommending buying from reputable dealers rather than pet stores for this type of reason but sometimes that isn't an option. My opinion is that if you like him and can care for him properly then you should get him.. just be aware of potential problems and be ready to do something about them. Find a vet and be prepared to take him if necessary.

Abu Dhabi
@LaLaP Great! Diet shouldn't be that big of an issue to change, and like you said, the tort doesn't look extremely ill or anything, and the vet's already secured. Hopefully housing will be set up without issues as well. Thanks!
P.S. You were right about pet stores and their diets and advice. I asked the owner what species they were and what he feeds them and he replied with "land turtles" and "any vegetables". And where I live, there's no reputable breeder that comes without an airplane ticket. Anyways, thanks for the advice!