Help identify Species

kbar

Location (City and/or State)
New York
Hello all,

It's nice to join people who love turtles and tortoises!

I wanted to get 1 or 2 tortoises to take care of. I love them so much. But I've been hesitant as I stay in an apartment and hence no yard to keep larger tortoises.

So I found these lovely ones but I'm not sure what species they are especially that I won't be able to find place for them if they grow large beyond an enclosure.

20220124_174123.jpg

Can you help me identify which species is this?

Thanks a lot!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
My guess would be Greek but wait and see what more experienced members say.

Don't be tempted to go for 2 torts unless you have space to house then separately - (eventually in a 4 x 8 feet enclosure each).
Torts are solitary territorial creatures and should never be kept in pairs, it's very stressful for them and will result in bullying by a dominant tort .

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here is the care info:

kbar

New York
Hi and welcome,
My guess would be Greek but wait and see what more experienced members say.

Don't be tempted to go for 2 torts unless you have space to house then separately - (eventually in a 4 x 8 feet enclosure each).
Torts are solitary territorial creatures and should never be kept in pairs, it's very stressful for them and will result in bullying by a dominant tort .

Thanks a lot Lyn! I looked up photos of Greek tortoises and yes they do look very similar. And thanks for the advice on multiple tortoises, I thought they appreciate having a friend with them.

So I'll go for 1 of these cuties as long as they prefer being alone and better as I would be able to handle it's size and provide care when it grows :).

Here is the care info:

I really appreciate it Tom. That's a great place to start. I'll go through it and start preparing for my new friend :tort:.