Can someone ID this tortoise for me?

xtinebs

Location (City and/or State)
Shingle Springs, CA
Found this turtle yesterday. I assume it's a box turtle, but wonder if anyone can give me more detail. It was extremely thirsty, so I'm hesitant to just let it go. I'd like to know exactly what variety it is so I can care for it properly. Oh, almost forgot - 4 toes in front, 3 in back.

Thanks!IMG_0980.JPG IMG_0976.JPG IMG_0968.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, don't let it go. Box turtles are not native to California and it is against the law to release non-native species. It a three toe box turtle (Terrapene carolina triunguis) and is someone's escaped pet.

xtinebs

Shingle Springs, CA
No, don't let it go. Box turtles are not native to California and it is against the law to release non-native species. It a three toe box turtle (Terrapene carolina triunguis) and is someone's escaped pet.
Thank you! I've already advertised it in the neighborhood Lost and Found. I'll keep her safe until someone claims her.

xtinebs

Shingle Springs, CA
Have you looked into keeping him fed?
We have a box turtle section.
Yes. I've offered her rose blooms and leaves, kale, dandilions, sweet pepper slices, and she's not interested in anything. Today I bought a 3'wide by 2' tall by 8' long horse trough for her outside "playpen". Put in a layer of peat moss and a bag of potting soil. She has a wading pool, and a half buried pot to hide in. So far, alll she wants to do is find a way out. I've offered several worms, which are still living in there, along with a big, fat slug, and two snails, one of which rode around on her shell for a while. And, I've bought some tortoise food, in case that's what she's used to. She's in her nightime room now, in the house with a heat bulb that I'll turn off later tonight. I'm hoping that soon she'll settle in and start to eat. Any hints as to get her to do that are GREATLY appreciated. I have read the Box Turtle section, and have printed it out, so I can review it again. Thanks for the questions and the advice!

xtinebs

Shingle Springs, CA

Yvonne - are you, or can you put me in touch with a 3 toed box turtle expert? It appears I'm keeping this girl (have already spent over $300 on supplies for her!) and I need more information. While I put her outside during the day in the 8' by 3' by 2' high horse trough I bought for her (it has 3-4 inches of peat moss and potting soil in it, a wading pool and a partially buried pot for her to hide in, plus some plants, she just hides in the shade in the corner all day long. In her nighttime enclosure (18" by 36" by 12" tall aquarium ) with an incandescent bulb (80 degrees beneath it) she still hides in a shady corner, except that in the morning she's always soaking in her "tub". I've ordered a UVA/UVB bulb for her, plus a heater. but she doesn't seem to like the heat, nor the light. Perhaps it is because she's still stressed at being captured. But I'm wondering....since this turtle is the State Turtle of Missouri, maybe she doesn't like all the sun or heat that we have here in Shingle Springs (near Sacramento). I've been to Missouri, and at least where I was, it was 80 degrees 24 hours a day, and since these turtles are related to pond turtles, perhaps they don't need as much UVA/UVB light, nor as much heat as most tortoises? I can move her outside "playpen", so I'd like to learn what is the best summertime environment for her, considering where I live (it gets to 95 degrees in the summer). I do have shady spots near a pond, where it will be cooler and more humid, but not much sunlight. Do you have any advice? Or perhaps you can direct me to someone else? Thanks for your help so far..

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
A box turtle, or most torts are going to hide in the shade during the heat most of the day. Box turtles are most active early morning and after a good rain. If you keep the turtle outside a few days a week for a couple hours you won't need a uvb lamp. Unless you have to bring it inside long periods in the winter. I would keep offering earth worms. It might take a few days for your new turtle to get settled in and develop a routine. This is a new environment for it.