Can this light be harmful??

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
I have a question and I know this may has been discussed many times in the forum but I like to get it clear one more time and listen to everyone's opinions and experiences.

Is this a safe light (infrared heating) to use inside the tortoise enclosure as night light?

Can tortoise see the red color light?? I know they can differentiate the color of red by go after tomato and carrots. but can they see the red light?

Can this so call infrared heat lamp produce harmful light to tortoise's eyes?? Thanks.

001 (9).JPG

Tyanna

Wisconsin
I think I recall someone saying "colored" lights shouldn't be used, but don't quote me on that.

Otherwise, I don't think I would use it, since it's made for "nocturnal" reptiles. I don't know if that makes a big difference or not. Just my input!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I think the reason 'colored' bulbs were frowned upon was because the noturnal black and red bulbs are made for nightime animals, and tortoises have better eyesight and can actually see the red rays some bulbs give off... so it would still be like a night light for them and not invisible :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I use both a red light and a black light in different tortoise sheds. I use them to provide night time heat. None of my tortoises are bothered by those lights.

Occasionally we hear of members' tortoises eating substrate, and we trace the culprit back to the member leaving the red light on during the day. The red light sometimes makes substrate look edible. But I see no harm in using them at night when the tortoise is sleeping.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Thank you for move this thread............:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thank you for move this thread............:)

I like to try to keep members on their toes. I take great joy in moving threads around to other positions on the Forum. ***Yvonne rubs her hands together with glee and searches for more threads to move***

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I like to try to keep members on their toes. I take great joy in moving threads around to other positions on the Forum. ***Yvonne rubs her hands together with glee and searches for more threads to move***
From now on, I will ask Jacqui, or dmmj, or Josh which category of my subject shall be before I post....:D

To take away your joy of moving my thread.....:p:p.... :<3::<3:!!