What's wrong with the red light bulb?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
My thing with CHE is lack of easy access to them (replacements) at the store. I try to always have spares of stuff but in the end I tend to use things that are easy to replace, rather then waiting for shipment. With CHE's initially it was also cost which some of our members here have already pointed me to where I can get them less ridiculously priced.

The good thing about CHEs is that they seldom burn out. I have one that is still in use right now that I've been using continuously since 1991 when I got my first sulcata. The only time a CHE has ever stopped working for me is when I dropped one once, and there was one that I broke off of its screw in base by being impulsive and using gorilla tactics on it. I have over 20 of them and not one has ever burned out or stopped working.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
The reason to not use red bulbs is because they make everything look red. All day and all night. Can you imagine how messed up your brain would be if everything around you was red all the time. No bright sunny days and no dark nights? It messes with their heads, AND it sometimes causes some of them to want to eat their substrate or other inappropriate things.

The reaction you are seeing would be expected from a RF. They don't usually like bright lights and many of them won't bask in the sun outside either. So they feel the warmth without all the brightness and they like it. This is why many people use a CHE for heat and "basking" for their RFs. You might try this. Have one CHE on the same timer as your fluorescent daylight bulb and a second CHE set on a thermostat to maintain ambient.
Hey, Tom, thanks for the explanation. It totally makes sense what you said about the heat without bright light. Yvonne and Maggie have used black bulbs for heat. I think I'll try that to just to have more options. I'll be watching those babies bask under that red bulb after breakfast and supper until my leg heals and I can go back to work. Then, I'll have no time to fool around with any of that. I just leaned in this very thread that ingesting moss can cause problems! And I've been using it as top layer of the substrate thinking it was safe! I never see the babies eat it but it could always get mixed up with food or they cen get some when grazing on newly sprouting seedings that I plant there..., crap! Just when I was begining to feel little selfconfidence! I may have to go back to the basics again! Don't want to end up with sick tortoise! I'll be reading tonight! About the substrate! And scouring the substrate threadsvon here:) My children are watching me all the time! It's important to me to be a good model for them. I want them to learn about safety as a first rule in everything. I Just wanted to say now, that I really appreciate your "matter of fact" statements and willingness to share your experience in this forum. Thank you.

Pearly

5 Year Member
I'm guessing your red light is diluted with the fluorescent light, so you are not getting a full red spectrum. I've done the same with my adults before and seen no negative things.
It will help your plants grow, but keep an eye on things regarding your juveniles.
Hey there! I have no idea about the dilutiin with flourescent, and frankly don't like to fool around with light. Never have! That's why in fish tanks I was so limited in types of plants I could grow as there are so few if pretty ones that don't need a really good light. I was skipping Physics classes in HS when they did the Optics (had other, more important things to do) and now have little (or NO) patience to go back, do my homework to fully understand how that whole thing works. As result I've been just getting by using what I have, very general idea, the manufacturer labels and advise of the people who "get it", so thank you for chiming in in my threads here and there. I appreciate your advise very much

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Hi Guys, question on light/heating. I use fluorescent strip for UVB and flood light during a day, CHE at night for my RF babies, never seen them bask. Then my basking bulb broke during moving things around one day and I needed something during a day for couple of hrs.

I had found a 100w red bulb and put it in, noticed both babies immediately started walking around at taking turns sitting under the red light for long periods of time, as in... basking!
I have got the basking spot bulb with white light that I've always used but out of curiosity put in the red bulb now and then for the sake of experiment and each time the result is this same so far, they both seem to feel very comfortable basking under this bulb.

I feel like trying to run one on lower wattage along with the white light and the UVB but worry about some comments I've seen here somewhere saying that red bulbs are a big "NO".
Can someone please explain to me the rationale for NOT using one as heat supplement (basking bulb) during a day?
My guess is be a use they are redfoots. They don't like bright lighting so the other was too bright. The only illumination I have is one 5.0 uvb flourescent.

Pearly

5 Year Member
The good thing about CHEs is that they seldom burn out. I have one that is still in use right now that I've been using continuously since 1991 when I got my first sulcata. The only time a CHE has ever stopped working for me is when I dropped one once, and there was one that I broke off of its screw in base by being impulsive and using gorilla tactics on it. I have over 20 of them and not one has ever burned out or stopped working.
Oh wow! I had no idea they were so durable! I thought that similarly to UVB the had lifespan of less than a year and I was just bying a very expensive heating bulb:) that is good to know. I currently have 2 CHE's 100w that I keep on at night and 60w that runs concurrently with UVB strip and basking bulb during a day. I was just exploring alternatives and love all the FACTS you guys thrown in here. That's awesome! Thank yoi

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Also, I'm like yvonne. I don't use Che bulbs basically for the same reason. I usually use the black moonglo bulbs but I've used the red ones in a pinch. No problems here.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hey there! I have no idea about the dilutiin with flourescent, and frankly don't like to fool around with light. Never have! That's why in fish tanks I was so limited in types of plants I could grow as there are so few if pretty ones that don't need a really good light. I was skipping Physics classes in HS when they did the Optics (had other, more important things to do) and now have little (or NO) patience to go back, do my homework to fully understand how that whole thing works. As result I've been just getting by using what I have, very general idea, the manufacturer labels and advise of the people who "get it", so thank you for chiming in in my threads here and there. I appreciate your advise very much
I've used red bulbs on 3 occasions.
1. When I first started out, also had an open enclosure too. Joined here and changed to closed system with no red bulbs.
2. I replaced my blown spot bulb for my spare which blew within 2 days. I got caught out and had to put a red bulb in.
3. I knocked up ANOTHER seperate box for my torts, to realise I forgot to get a spot bulb, so I put a red one in to get by.

I don't use red bulbs. But on these 3 occasions I saw no problems, although each occasion wasn't really for that long anyway.

If its for the purpose of getting plants to flower, you don't need full on red spectrum.
Try a 20w red bulb along side a 80w white. After all there is every spectrum of light In the daylight, we just see it as daylight, but the red spectrum(for example) is there.

Pearly

5 Year Member
My guess is be a use they are redfoots. They don't like bright lighting so the other was too bright. The only illumination I have is one 5.0 uvb flourescent.
Mine (fluorescent) is 8.0 (I think) but I need more light to support the plants. My goal was to create uneven, "fluffy" surface with plenty of low growing vegetation to mimic forest floor. With heat, hight humidity, torts bulldozing everything all the time or mowing things down to the ground, There are VERY FEW plants if any at all that could thrive in those extreme conditions. Add very little light... And I don't want to put fake plants in there (worried about babies trying to eat them) and don't like the looks or feel of barren enclosure floor... and I am doomed, right? Nah! There's always some way to do things, and that's my objective right now, finding that sweet spot.

Ok just looked at my UVB it's the 30" single 17w tube, it just doesn't seem to make things that bright and it is a "desert" version of the Zilla. Anyway, work in progress for me. Thanks for chiming in

Last edited:

Pearly

5 Year Member
I've used red bulbs on 3 occasions.
1. When I first started out, also had an open enclosure too. Joined here and changed to closed system with no red bulbs.
2. I replaced my blown spot bulb for my spare which blew within 2 days. I got caught out and had to put a red bulb in.
3. I knocked up ANOTHER seperate box for my torts, to realise I forgot to get a spot bulb, so I put a red one in to get by.

I don't use red bulbs. But on these 3 occasions I saw no problems, although each occasion wasn't really for that long anyway.

If its for the purpose of getting plants to flower, you don't need full on red spectrum.
Try a 20w red bulb along side a 80w white. After all there is every spectrum of light In the daylight, we just see it as daylight, but the red spectrum(for example) is there.
Awesome info! Thank you

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hey Guys, happy Sunday! I meant "RATIONALE" as in a reason for doing something certain way, not a "rational argument". I knew about potential for eating of non food stuff as danger of daytime and lack of darkness at night as a minus for nightime use of red bulbs. I agree with all you experienced keepers on those. What made me start this thread is the basking thing. This really stole my heart to see those babies actually go under the lamp, then go back to eat more and come back. I was just trying to UNDERSTAND all the "why's" and "becauses", that's all and never to undermine someone's long standing theories or statements. Again all that goes back to abbreviated/written communication where so much can be lost or misinterpreted from the initial intent. I didn't mean to stirr the pot, sorry Guys if I did. Offering sincere apologies to Grandpa if unintentionally ruffled his feathers. Grandpa, Pearly sorry! She didn't mean it❤️
And grandpa thinks your great ! Sorry for any miss understandings mine or yours . You will do great here .

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Mine (fluorescent) is 8.0 (I think) but I need more light to support the plants. My goal was to create uneven, "fluffy" surface with plenty of low growing vegetation to mimic forest floor. With heat, hight humidity, torts bulldozing everything all the time or mowing things down to the ground, There are VERY FEW plants if any at all that could thrive in those extreme conditions. Add very little light... And I don't want to put fake plants in there (worried about babies trying to eat them) and don't like the looks or feel of barren enclosure floor... and I am doomed, right? Nah! There's always some way to do things, and that's my objective right now, finding that sweet spot.

Ok just looked at my UVB it's the 30" single 17w tube, it just doesn't seem to make things that bright and it is a "desert" version of the Zilla. Anyway, work in progress for me. Thanks for chiming in
It shouldn't be all that bright. My redfoots enclosure is pretty dim. The uvb adds just enough light in his enclosure that he knows it's daytime. I don't have live plants though. For all my reptiles I favor simple setups.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
It shouldn't be all that bright. My redfoots enclosure is pretty dim. The uvb adds just enough light in his enclosure that he knows it's daytime. I don't have live plants though. For all my reptiles I favor simple setups.
I use the kiss method as well

Pearly

5 Year Member
Guess I must learn the meaning of "simple" on the other hand, these baby torts are the first and only reptiles we own, so ... I guess, trying to have some hobby related fun with it