What's wrong with the red light bulb?

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
Hi Guys, question on light/heating. I use fluorescent strip for UVB and flood light during a day, CHE at night for my RF babies, never seen them bask. Then my basking bulb broke during moving things around one day and I needed something during a day for couple of hrs.

I had found a 100w red bulb and put it in, noticed both babies immediately started walking around at taking turns sitting under the red light for long periods of time, as in... basking!
I have got the basking spot bulb with white light that I've always used but out of curiosity put in the red bulb now and then for the sake of experiment and each time the result is this same so far, they both seem to feel very comfortable basking under this bulb.

I feel like trying to run one on lower wattage along with the white light and the UVB but worry about some comments I've seen here somewhere saying that red bulbs are a big "NO".
Can someone please explain to me the rationale for NOT using one as heat supplement (basking bulb) during a day?

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
The rationale for not using the red bulbs during the day is that they make things look red and red stuff, in tortoise world, is usually yummy food. I've never used them, but some keepers who have notice substrate eating.

Interesting observations about increased basking under the red bulb. Exact same temps as with the CHE?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Far as I'm concerned, nothing is wrong with them if you use them at night. But if you use them during the day it causes the substrate to look like it might be food. Not to all tortoises, but some have been found to eat their substrate when a red light is turned on during the day.

Pearly

5 Year Member
The rationale for not using the red bulbs during the day is that they make things look red and red stuff, in tortoise world, is usually yummy food. I've never used them, but some keepers who have notice substrate eating.

Interesting observations about increased basking under the red bulb. Exact same temps as with the CHE?
I have not seen them try nibbling on any no food items, which in this enclosure moss is really the only thing they could try eating. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452374597.256530.jpg they typically go for their food and plants growing in there. That why I have to plant new plants to replace the ones that get mowed down all the time.
As for your other question, I only run CHE at night. During a day I need to have enough light in there for the plants to grow, so I cut out a hole in the insulation over the top screen to fit another lamp dome, to have 2 heat producing bulbs and 1 long fluorescent tube during a day. I've been using just 1 @ 100w and that has kept the enclosure at 80 in the cool end and high 80's in the warm end. Now I'm thinking to split that 100w between the red and white basking bulb.
That is unless I hear an argument/rationale against it.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Far as I'm concerned, nothing is wrong with them if you use them at night. But if you use them during the day it causes the substrate to look like it might be food. Not to all tortoises, but some have been found to eat their substrate when a red light is turned on during the day.
I see, so your recommendation is to run the red at night...
I did look at that and it keeps things pretty lit up... No darkness there... That's why I stuck with the CHE at night. My substrate surface is moss and few big flat rocks, and so far they haven't been tried as menu items. I think I'll experiment carefully until I hear more people chime in

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I have not seen them try nibbling on any no food items, which in this enclosure moss is really the only thing they could try eating. View attachment 161685 they typically go for their food and plants growing in there. That why I have to plant new plants to replace the ones that get mowed down all the time.
As for your other question, I only run CHE at night. During a day I need to have enough light in there for the plants to grow, so I cut out a hole in the insulation over the top screen to fit another lamp dome, to have 2 heat producing bulbs and 1 long fluorescent tube during a day. I've been using just 1 @ 100w and that has kept the enclosure at 80 in the cool end and high 80's in the warm end. Now I'm thinking to split that 100w between the red and white basking bulb.
That is unless I hear an argument/rationale against it.
Most of us like and listen to Yvonne and I think the advice you got so far is great . So I think your going to to do what YOU want . And you just want to
" argue " it . And the way I understand your meaning to "rationale " is its your way ! And your right their your torts !

Pearly

5 Year Member

Sorry, Sarah, I think I didn't address your last question. My "low" temps are very consistent day and night (closed system)

Pearly

5 Year Member
Most of us like and listen to Yvonne and I think the advice you got so far is great . So I think your going to to do what YOU want . And you just want to
" argue " it . And the way I understand your meaning to "rationale " is its your way ! And your right their your torts !
Hmmm, thank you for taking your time to comment, and for valuable input of an experienced keeper, which is what I take the first part of your post to be.
As for the second part, no, my intent has not been to "just argue", and in my view a "rationale" has nothing to do with "my way".
That is, unless "my way" is nothing, but objective scientific data, which it is NOT.
To the contrary, I am a fairly new keeper, seeking answers that work both for me and my animals.
If I ask questions or present my own observations or thoughts it is to have them validated by some of you guys who have been in it for much longer and know your way around issues.
This is why I joined this forum.
I just like to understand what I'm doing and why.
If I at any point come across as looking to argue my "point" whatever that maybe, I am failing at my communication skills.
I am simply seeking guidance through the new hobby trying to learn something and have some fun in the process at this same time. This new hobby is something that I share with my 11 yr old daughter who owns those baby tortoises, it is important to me to be a good mentor and role model to her

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I didn't get from your post what Grandpa Turtle got, maybe he's having a ruff day:confused: Anyway, your che is best for night time as it gives off no light, which is natural. However, some like Yvonne uses the red, but as she said, if your going to use the red, best to only use it at night, because of the eating of things. If you want to chance using the red during the day, keep a close eye on them. Moss can cause internal problems if eaten. That said, a lot have members have posted in the past that their RF don't bask much.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
mine does not back a lot only in the early morning Sun usually

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I didn't get from your post what Grandpa Turtle got, maybe he's having a ruff day:confused: Anyway, your che is best for night time as it gives off no light, which is natural. However, some like Yvonne uses the red, but as she said, if your going to use the red, best to only use it at night, because of the eating of things. If you want to chance using the red during the day, keep a close eye on them. Moss can cause internal problems if eaten. That said, a lot have members have posted in the past that their RF don't bask much.
No I always have a great day here ! But read the last sentence. That is unless I hear an argument/ rational . Who determined rational them not us !

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No I always have a great day here ! But read the last sentence. That is unless I hear an argument/ rational . Who determined rational them not us !
I think they meant a good (rational)argument against using the red bulb. At least that's how I took it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think they meant a good (rational)argument against using the red bulb. At least that's how I took it.
Which BTW, I think my argument is, night time should be dark, its more natural then a red glowing light:p:D. But my opinion. Not like I haven't used a red light in a pinch:eek:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hmmm, thank you for taking your time to comment, and for valuable input of an experienced keeper, which is what I take the first part of your post to be.
As for the second part, no, my intent has not been to "just argue", and in my view a "rationale" has nothing to do with "my way".
That is, unless "my way" is nothing, but objective scientific data, which it is NOT.
To the contrary, I am a fairly new keeper, seeking answers that work both for me and my animals.
If I ask questions or present my own observations or thoughts it is to have them validated by some of you guys who have been in it for much longer and know your way around issues.
This is why I joined this forum.
I just like to understand what I'm doing and why.
If I at any point come across as looking to argue my "point" whatever that maybe, I am failing at my communication skills.
I am simply seeking guidance through the new hobby trying to learn something and have some fun in the process at this same time. This new hobby is something that I share with my 11 yr old daughter who owns those baby tortoises, it is important to me to be a good mentor and role model to her

It's ok. I'm glad when people disagree with me. My way isn't the only way...it's the way that works for me. I used to use CHEs but I found the red or black lights to use less electricity. And I was paying too much for electricity, and trying to find ways to cut back. CHEs are good, they're just not for me.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The reason to not use red bulbs is because they make everything look red. All day and all night. Can you imagine how messed up your brain would be if everything around you was red all the time. No bright sunny days and no dark nights? It messes with their heads, AND it sometimes causes some of them to want to eat their substrate or other inappropriate things.

The reaction you are seeing would be expected from a RF. They don't usually like bright lights and many of them won't bask in the sun outside either. So they feel the warmth without all the brightness and they like it. This is why many people use a CHE for heat and "basking" for their RFs. You might try this. Have one CHE on the same timer as your fluorescent daylight bulb and a second CHE set on a thermostat to maintain ambient.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hi Guys, question on light/heating. I use fluorescent strip for UVB and flood light during a day, CHE at night for my RF babies, never seen them bask. Then my basking bulb broke during moving things around one day and I needed something during a day for couple of hrs.

I had found a 100w red bulb and put it in, noticed both babies immediately started walking around at taking turns sitting under the red light for long periods of time, as in... basking!
I have got the basking spot bulb with white light that I've always used but out of curiosity put in the red bulb now and then for the sake of experiment and each time the result is this same so far, they both seem to feel very comfortable basking under this bulb.

I feel like trying to run one on lower wattage along with the white light and the UVB but worry about some comments I've seen here somewhere saying that red bulbs are a big "NO".
Can someone please explain to me the rationale for NOT using one as heat supplement (basking bulb) during a day?
I'm guessing your red light is diluted with the fluorescent light, so you are not getting a full red spectrum. I've done the same with my adults before and seen no negative things.
It will help your plants grow, but keep an eye on things regarding your juveniles.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Hey Guys, happy Sunday! I meant "RATIONALE" as in a reason for doing something certain way, not a "rational argument". I knew about potential for eating of non food stuff as danger of daytime and lack of darkness at night as a minus for nightime use of red bulbs. I agree with all you experienced keepers on those. What made me start this thread is the basking thing. This really stole my heart to see those babies actually go under the lamp, then go back to eat more and come back. I was just trying to UNDERSTAND all the "why's" and "becauses", that's all and never to undermine someone's long standing theories or statements. Again all that goes back to abbreviated/written communication where so much can be lost or misinterpreted from the initial intent. I didn't mean to stirr the pot, sorry Guys if I did. Offering sincere apologies to Grandpa if unintentionally ruffled his feathers. Grandpa, Pearly sorry! She didn't mean it❤️

Pearly

5 Year Member
Hey, thanks for taking your time trying to smoothe things over. I admit, I'm from the old school where we used to write "letters"! And everybody loved reading a personal ling letter! I loved writing them. Nowadays I love the smart phone technology and stuff but at times find myself having difficulty conveying a message in telegraphic abbreviation without losing something from the context. I was not aware of moss being bad for the torts if ingested. I'm glad you brought that up. I chose the moss cover bcs I love the looks of it and it keeps things clean, food, water, doesn't get in their eyes and nose... I can't work just yet (this injury has really grounded me for the first time in 49 years!) so I'm home a lot and play with those lamps all the time. I turn the red lamp on right after breakfast, run the fogger at this same time. I put thered bulb in deepdome so it shines this red beam of warm light in one spot of the enclosure and both babies take off for that spot after getting their fill at breakfast and supper. It's really cute to watch. I leave this bulb on for about 1.5 hes around meal time 2xday. They seem to love it. Anyway, thank you again for beeing so nice❤️

Last edited:

Pearly

5 Year Member
It's ok. I'm glad when people disagree with me. My way isn't the only way...it's the way that works for me. I used to use CHEs but I found the red or black lights to use less electricity. And I was paying too much for electricity, and trying to find ways to cut back. CHEs are good, they're just not for me.
Yvonne, those a words of wisdom. I love you always you willing to share your practical knowledge with us. All the down to earth stuff, which to me is what most of us sooner or later end up doing (hopefully). My thing with CHE is lack of easy access to them (replacements) at the store. I try to always have spares of stuff but in the end I tend to use things that are easy to replace, rather then waiting for shipment. With CHE's initially it was also cost which some of our members here have already pointed me to where I can get them less ridiculously priced. As I continue to work my way through things it's great to have you as reliable and trustworthy resource. Thank you