Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I've wondered about this many times myself. Especially with brand new hatchlings straight out of the egg. I've never seen any studies or read anything on it. I only put brand new babies out for short amounts of time for the first couple of weeks. They seem to get a "sun tan" within that time. When they are out they have the choice to move in and out of the shade, but they still get tan. For the first 6 months or so they hide in the shade quite a bit when they are outside too. My adults will literally spends hours just sitting in the sun on a cool sunny day. I have never seen any evidence of sun burn on any of my tortoises of any species of any age.

So I'm inclined to say no they don't get sunburned under any normal circumstance.

Reactions: Ser

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
they do not. HOWEVER if they get too much direct sun especially with warm temps they will have a heat stroke. Even sulcatas and leopards. Tortoises dont have cellular breakdown of layers of skin like we do as humans or mammals I should say.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
tortadise said:
they do not. HOWEVER if they get too much direct sun especially with warm temps they will have a heat stroke. Even sulcatas and leopards. Tortoises dont have cellular breakdown of layers of skin like we do as humans or mammals I should say.

:cool:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I recall a report on this a long long time ago, apparently their thicker skin tends to lead to them not getting sunburn as easily as mammals do.

Status
Not open for further replies.