Can we speak/communicate to any animal, in THEIR language?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
I've seen something about that too and actually got to meet Sarah the chimp doctor. She was amazing. She helped her chimps learn how to paint pictures.
Or well she gave them a paint brush and paints 😂

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Oldies but goodies...

blahblah_gary-larson-ginger-dog-what-dogs-hear.jpg

Df8g9RrWkAERnvP.jpg

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
But that's not their language.
Who says? I know what my animals are saying. My animals know what I'm saying. We communicate the way we communicate. I do the same thing with my brother and he has never heard a sound in his life. The hearing center of his brain has never worked but we manage to communicate. That's talking to each other. Speaking each other's language.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Who says? I know what my animals are saying. My animals know what I'm saying. We communicate the way we communicate. I do the same thing with my brother and he has never heard a sound in his life. The hearing center of his brain has never worked but we manage to communicate. That's talking to each other. Speaking each other's language.
Because it's not, that's fact.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I've always wondered if we could speak to animals, or rather if animals could speak to us, what nonsensical things would they have to say?
Tarzan talk? "ME WANT FOOD".
It wouldn't be a very deep and meaningful conversation. And in most cases, probably very disturbing or at least disappointing.
My tortoises for example. I already know what they'd say. They'd say "GET OUT" or "BRING MORE FOOD" They wouldn't ask me how my day was going or ask if the University of South Carolina won on Saturday.

Hell. Some days I'm not even sure my wife understands what I'm saying. Or me, her.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've always wondered if we could speak to animals, or rather if animals could speak to us, what nonsensical things would they have to say?
Tarzan talk? "ME WANT FOOD".
It wouldn't be a very deep and meaningful conversation. And in most cases, probably very disturbing or at least disappointing.
My tortoises for example. I already know what they'd say. They'd say "GET OUT" or "BRING MORE FOOD" They wouldn't ask me how my day was going or ask if the University of South Carolina won on Saturday.

Hell. Some days I'm not even sure my wife understands what I'm saying
When I was a little kid, I would have terrible nightmares that my Samoyed would suddenly stand up and start speaking to me with a villainous English accent. He would always be moving towards me in a vaguely threatening manner, but never outright attacking me. I can't remember what he was saying, but he would always annunciate and speak very clearly and properly. I was always backing away almost in a panic, but never quite.

I don't know what normal kids have nightmares about, but that was mine. I hated that nightmare and it was a regular.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
When I was a little kid, I would have terrible nightmares that my Samoyed would suddenly stand up and start speaking to me with a villainous English accent. He would always be moving towards me in a vaguely threatening manner, but never outright attacking me. I can't remember what he was saying, but he would always annunciate and speak very clearly and properly. I was always backing away almost in a panic, but never quite.

I don't know what normal kids have nightmares about, but that was mine. I hated that nightmare and it was a regular.
Man. That one is damned unusual for sure.
And I'd be afraid too

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
You guys remind us all that most of us had some scary "thing" that stuck with us......mine of my first love in 1st grade- Leslie Cale's father becoming a giant and coming after me....He was huge, looking over the mountains that came up to his chest. 60 yrs later and it's just as vivid a memory.

Guess it was just a prelude...

Tom, did you ever recognize the voice? Maybe an actor you heard as a kid?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Must be why you got into training dogs/animals. You can thank that Samoyed that haunted you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You guys remind us all that most of us had some scary "thing" that stuck with us......mine of my first love in 1st grade- Leslie Cale's father becoming a giant and coming after me....He was huge, looking over the mountains that came up to his chest. 60 yrs later and it's just as vivid a memory.

Guess it was just a prelude...

Tom, did you ever recognize the voice? Maybe an actor you heard as a kid?
Likely a James Bond villain, or something similar. The bad guy always has an English accent in movies, right? He was always advancing and speaking very assertively in a passive aggressive sort of way. "Where are you going Tom? Why are you backing away from me Tom?"

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
wow, that WAS intense....maybe from some old style movie....very scary!

Amazing how those things remain so vivid when other things that we've experienced at a much deeper level are lost to time and forgotten.

I asked the question about animals & communication on this forum because I believe that this group is quite a bit more in tune with animals as a whole, than any other group of people that I know. I wanted you all to know that because there's a reason I value everyone's thoughts here.

As the girls point out....There's a difference between mere communication, no matter how difficult to achieve from what I can tell, and a verbal or written language as we know it which can be shared. See, I learned my new things for the day.....a bit late at 3:40 but I'll take it.

My mom taught kids like Joe was when he was young for 35 years so over the years we all got a chance as we grew up to tag along to Mom's school quite often(didn't know we were being babysat at the time) all 5 of us learned to sign very young and I thank Mom today as my hearing is going but I can lip read better than most, lip readers! Communication with the Handicapped kids as they were called back then was never a problem, getting them to do what I wanted to do was another story altogether. Most have no idea what's in that can until it opens. LOL They often express themselves differently than we do because they don't have the same language skills. I had those old style green-metal braces with the leather straps thrown at me once, it would have killed me! Ms Cathie knows the drill and you will always have my utmost respect for the task you do so selflessly....another here who humbles me.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
And well you can mimic a duck with one of those apparatuses and lure it. It actually sounds like a duck. I think real communication with them is different though. And you don't have to sound like them to have a bit of fun.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
And well... I can thump like my bunny 🐇 is that speaking her language? That's one of the few sounds she makes.🤗