Can you help identify Toby's species?

4jean

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York State
What a special tortoise! I love hearing about tortoises that have been in families for many years. I have a Greek tortoise too...but it is only 3 months old!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
You can't really tell the age of a tortoise without knowing his hatch date, i'm afraid.
Just that he's of a good age and is a really beautiful guy.
Good morning Adam-it's past midnight!

Is there no way whatsoever to tell the age of a tortoise? Not even approximate age?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Not that I know of.
You can tell if it's a hatchling, juvenile, young adult, full grown (though they continue to grow very slowly) etc, but actual age, I don't think so.
This tort is a fully adult male who's seen a good few summers, but other than that it's guesswork.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Or you could saw it in half and count the rings.
( Don't try this at home, kids,)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Not that I know of.
You can tell if it's a hatchling, juvenile, young adult, full grown (though they continue to grow very slowly) etc, but actual age, I don't think so.
This tort is a fully adult male who's seen a good few summers, but other than that it's guesswork.
Thanks very much your help and your prompt reply.

Tim84

Hi. So am I.

Seems to be definite; he started a boy (hence Toby), had a mid-life crisis/sex change for a while, and as of today is a boy again (or should I say man as he's got at least 15 years on me!)

What a special tortoise! I love hearing about tortoises that have been in families for many years. I have a Greek tortoise too...but it is only 3 months old!

It is nice to know he's part of the family; he was my auntie's pet tortoise (she was five when he first joined them) and he has sadly out-lived her by a couple of years now so he carries some good history! Hopefully your Greek will pass through the generations too!

Good morning Adam-it's past midnight!

Is there no way whatsoever to tell the age of a tortoise? Not even approximate age?

It is a shame we can't give a more accurate age rather than 'at least 45' as he could be double that for all we know! Either way I hope he has many more years with us...

Or you could saw it in half and count the rings.
( Don't try this at home, kids,)

I don't think I'll try this one, might not prolong his life too much!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thanks for the replies everyone!

Although Toby has been with my grandparents for 45 years she could be a lot older for all we know; my grandad found her walking up the middle of Marylebone High Street in London 45 years ago and saved her from being squashed! No idea how old she was at that point, couldn't find an owner so kept her after a few days of looking... now my turn!

Wow he is a lucky tort - good job your Grandad spotted him! Even 45 years ago the traffic would have been bad in London. Today he'd probably be fined for using a bus lane!

Tim84

Wow he is a lucky tort - good job your Grandad spotted him! Even 45 years ago the traffic would have been bad in London. Today he'd probably be fined for using a bus lane!

The nice thing is I get a train in to Marylebone Station about three times a week (like today) so I pass by where he first came from! Five minutes down the road and he could have been Paddington Tort (not got quite the same ring to it as 'bear' though)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
The nice thing is I get a train in to Marylebone Station about three times a week (like today) so I pass by where he first came from! Five minutes down the road and he could have been Paddington Tort (not got quite the same ring to it as 'bear' though)
But Paddingtort would have been excellent!