Can you help me understand my tortoise … THANK YOU ⭐️

shellyshella

Location (City and/or State)
Lisbon
good morning, my sons grandfather gave him a tortoise yesterday, she came with zero care instructions or clarity on what type of tortoise she is, which I know is important to know. I am very keen to look after her properly and give her a healthy and happy life. So I wondered if you any of you kind people who really know about tortoises could help me work out what breed she is? I have attached pictures. I guess this is the first step I need to understand how to take care of her properly. I soaked her this morning in a little warm bath as from my research this makes all tortoises happy. But I wondered am I doing it right by just adding a small amount of warm water and letting her walk around in it for 30 mins in the morning? We live in lisbon, the climate isn’t too cold! Any other tips on how to look after her properly for her specific breed etc would be so appreciated . Thank you from a worried new tortoise mom!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1877.jpeg
    IMG_1877.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1881.jpeg
    IMG_1881.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1879.jpeg
    IMG_1879.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1880.jpeg
    IMG_1880.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello and welcome!

I'm not very experienced member, but your tortoise is one of the Testudo species. Maybe it's Horsfieldii (also known as Russian tortoise). They are very energetic and are excellent climbers (no jokes!).

1. Yes, you have done bathing right! A small amount of lukewarm water (to the level where bottom and top shell meet) for 30 minutes is a perfect bathing. The water should be kept warm all the time and it's easier to do with two containers.

2. You can try feed her hibiscus leaves and flowers, opuntia cactus pads, grocery store greens like arugula (rocket salad), endive, escarole, radicchio and look for malva (mallow), dandelions (or similar looking plants). She should be fed everyday, food should be available all the time.

3. She needs her own private space. The larger - the better. Something like 4x8 feet (1,5 size bed). Since the climate is warm, it would be perfect to make her an outdoors space in the garden or on the balcony (fenced, with shade and plants).

4. Her inside enclosure should have a basking lamp (usual flood incandescent lamp). If you can take her outside under the sunlight (even 15 minutes, 2-3 times a week, around midday is fine) you will not need a UVB lamp. If temperatures in the house aren't lower that 65-70F (18-20C) at night, she won't need additional heating.

Here is the link to extensive tortoise care information: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/info-for-new-people-please-read-this-first.202363/ (and at the bottom there is a link to "Temperate species Care Sheet", more specific for your tortoise). That's really a lot of reading, take it slow, step by step and, please, ask any questions you have.

shellyshella

Lisbon
Hello and welcome!

I'm not very experienced member, but your tortoise is one of the Testudo species. Maybe it's Horsfieldii (also known as Russian tortoise). They are very energetic and are excellent climbers (no jokes!).

1. Yes, you have done bathing right! A small amount of lukewarm water (to the level where bottom and top shell meet) for 30 minutes is a perfect bathing. The water should be kept warm all the time and it's easier to do with two containers.

2. You can try feed her hibiscus leaves and flowers, opuntia cactus pads, grocery store greens like arugula (rocket salad), endive, escarole, radicchio and look for malva (mallow), dandelions (or similar looking plants). She should be fed everyday, food should be available all the time.

3. She needs her own private space. The larger - the better. Something like 4x8 feet (1,5 size bed). Since the climate is warm, it would be perfect to make her an outdoors space in the garden or on the balcony (fenced, with shade and plants).

4. Her inside enclosure should have a basking lamp (usual flood incandescent lamp). If you can take her outside under the sunlight (even 15 minutes, 2-3 times a week, around midday is fine) you will not need a UVB lamp. If temperatures in the house aren't lower that 65-70F (18-20C) at night, she won't need additional heating.

Here is the link to extensive tortoise care information: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/info-for-new-people-please-read-this-first.202363/ (and at the bottom there is a link to "Temperate species Care Sheet", more specific for your tortoise). That's really a lot of reading, take it slow, step by step and, please, ask any questions you have.
Hi Alex I wondered if you could also help me with what I should have on the surface of her enclosure? And also do I need some sort of a humidifier for her? Her tank is looking a big lonely with just a food bowl, water bowl and a stone type enclosure for her to hide in. Just wondered what the optimum things to have in her home are? As till the summer she will be indoors as it can get a bit nippy and windy here till May. Also can she hear well? Should I keep her some in a quiet room away from the kids. Sorry so many questions!

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
No problem :) Great, you've asked!

1. She needs bedding (or substrate). There are three which work best of all: fine grade orchid bark (small pieces of fir, not pine, bark), cypress mulch or coco coir (soil like thing sold in bricks). You may look at garden centers or plant nurseries first, they might have it for sell cheap and in big bags. Same substrates in the pet shops usually cost much more (Reptibark, ZooMed Forest Floor and such). Before laying substrate in the enclosure it makes sense to line the bottom with something like a shower curtain, to protect the wood from moisture. You will need about 3-5 inches of substrate.

2. For this species high humidity is not needed, at least for adult tortoises (and yours look mature). So humidity 50-60% and slightly damp substrate is fine. You will need a digital (not gauge) thermometer/gygrometer to know if everything's alright.

3. To make an enclosure more comfortable she needs two shallow terracotta saucers (one, big enough so she can get in and bath/drink) and another one for food. You may add some wooden logs, ramps/bridges, plants, halves of terracotta pots for hiding, low wooden walls (like garden bed fences), flat rocks. I have to remind, that she might use the things to climb out of the enclosure.

4. Never put sand and moss in the enclosure.

5. I think, when night temperatures will rise above 60F (16C) she can be kept outside full time. Before that, you can let her walk during the day and bring her home at night. Tortoises really thrive when allowed to walk outside.

6. Tortoises don't hear really well (but react to sudden loud sounds,of course). But they need full darkness to sleep well (10-12 hours).

Many questions is better than none, so don't hesitate to ask. Also, you can post a photo of her enclosure - maybe we can suggest some ideas for improvement.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
good morning, my sons grandfather gave him a tortoise yesterday, she came with zero care instructions or clarity on what type of tortoise she is, which I know is important to know. I am very keen to look after her properly and give her a healthy and happy life. So I wondered if you any of you kind people who really know about tortoises could help me work out what breed she is? I have attached pictures. I guess this is the first step I need to understand how to take care of her properly. I soaked her this morning in a little warm bath as from my research this makes all tortoises happy. But I wondered am I doing it right by just adding a small amount of warm water and letting her walk around in it for 30 mins in the morning? We live in lisbon, the climate isn’t too cold! Any other tips on how to look after her properly for her specific breed etc would be so appreciated . Thank you from a worried new tortoise mom!!!
Hello and welcome! You have a beautiful Russian tortoise there. Testudo horsefieldii. Here is the specific care info, but also read the link that Alex left for you. That one has lots of general info and the heating/lighting breakdown.

Most of your questions will be answered in those two threads, but we are happy to field more questions. :)

shellyshella

Lisbon
No problem :) Great, you've asked!

1. She needs bedding (or substrate). There are three which work best of all: fine grade orchid bark (small pieces of fir, not pine, bark), cypress mulch or coco coir (soil like thing sold in bricks). You may look at garden centers or plant nurseries first, they might have it for sell cheap and in big bags. Same substrates in the pet shops usually cost much more (Reptibark, ZooMed Forest Floor and such). Before laying substrate in the enclosure it makes sense to line the bottom with something like a shower curtain, to protect the wood from moisture. You will need about 3-5 inches of substrate.

2. For this species high humidity is not needed, at least for adult tortoises (and yours look mature). So humidity 50-60% and slightly damp substrate is fine. You will need a digital (not gauge) thermometer/gygrometer to know if everything's alright.

3. To make an enclosure more comfortable she needs two shallow terracotta saucers (one, big enough so she can get in and bath/drink) and another one for food. You may add some wooden logs, ramps/bridges, plants, halves of terracotta pots for hiding, low wooden walls (like garden bed fences), flat rocks. I have to remind, that she might use the things to climb out of the enclosure.

4. Never put sand and moss in the enclosure.

5. I think, when night temperatures will rise above 60F (16C) she can be kept outside full time. Before that, you can let her walk during the day and bring her home at night. Tortoises really thrive when allowed to walk outside.

6. Tortoises don't hear really well (but react to sudden loud sounds,of course). But they need full darkness to sleep well (10-12 hours).

Many questions is better than none, so don't hesitate to ask. Also, you can post a photo of her enclosure - maybe we can suggest some ideas for improvement.
Amazing thank you! She has just eaten a whole bowl of rocket! Do I replace is straight away or wait till tomorrow? She seems a lot happier today after he soak this morning. Can I also ask they told my father in law that she was 2 years old, does this count as mature? Also she keeps sitting in her bowl of water, I am assuming this is fine. Also final question (for now he he) how often to change all the bedding material in her house? THANK YOU!!

shellyshella

Lisbon
Hello and welcome! You have a beautiful Russian tortoise there. Testudo horsefieldii. Here is the specific care info, but also read the link that Alex left for you. That one has lots of general info and the heating/lighting breakdown.

Most of your questions will be answered in those two threads, but we are happy to field more questions. :)
Amazing thank you! She has just eaten a whole bowl of rocket! Do I replace is straight away or wait till tomorrow? She seems a lot happier today after he soak this morning. Can I also ask they told my father in law that she was 2 years old, does this count as mature? Also she keeps sitting in her bowl of water, I am assuming this is fine. Also final question (for now he he) how often to change all the bedding material in her house? THANK YOU!!!

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Usually you leave a food bowl in the morning and remove it in the evening (they don't do night snacks). If everything's eaten - give more next day. There should be only little bits left. And diet variety is important.

I can't tell for sure about her age, she looks older to me. At least in US it's common to sell wild-caught adult Russian tortoises in pet shops as "juveniles".

If she sits in a water bowl, she might have been dehydrated (a common situation for pet shop tortoises). But I won't let her stay in the bowl overnight - I don't know enclosure temperatures, it might become too cold for her.

Substrate/bedding should be spot-cleaned daily from food left-overs and poo. And usually you need to completely replace it every year or two (with regular bathing she will do "her business" in a soaking dish, that helps substrate to last).