Can you tell me whether I can feed this plant to my Greek?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ismail

5 Year Member
Hi there,

Can anyone be so kind to tell me whether this plant is safe to give to my greeks? I was told it is a form of cacti, but i will not give it to them if i'm not sure that it is not poisonous.

Attachments

• 19112012563.jpg
    19112012563.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 72
  • 19112012566.jpg
    19112012566.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 68
  • 19112012565.jpg
    19112012565.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 68

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
Looks like a type of jade to me. I have two types here at my place. One looks like yours and I don't feed it because one of our cats ate some and got pukie sick from it. The other jade I have is what I think people call a money bush(?) this one I know is safe and I feed it once every two weeks or so. It has a high water content and makes for runny BM's that I don't want to deal with. I feed it to both my Russians and my sucatas. Maybe others can help.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
The common name is Elephant Bush. At least, that's the name on all the pots at home depot.

It's edible and easy to propagate.

testtudude

5 Year Member
It is jade or crassula ovata. High in water and extremely high in oxalates. Feed only in moderation.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, it's not crassula ovata. It is Portulacaria afra. Redbeef is correct. In South Africa this plant's name is "Tortoise Food."

ismail

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
No, it's not crassula ovata. It is Portulacaria afra. Redbeef is correct. In South Africa this plant's name is "Tortoise Food."

Yes it actually looks very much like Portulacaria afra rather than jade. Are you sure its called tortoise food, or elephant food? So do you think i can give it to my torts?

Thanks again for all the help!

Cowboy_Ken said:
Looks like a type of jade to me. I have two types here at my place. One looks like yours and I don't feed it because one of our cats ate some and got pukie sick from it. The other jade I have is what I think people call a money bush(?) this one I know is safe and I feed it once every two weeks or so. It has a high water content and makes for runny BM's that I don't want to deal with. I feed it to both my Russians and my sucatas. Maybe others can help.

sorry for sounding too naive, but what is a runny BM's ? :rolleyes:

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Loose and/or runny stools from the high water content. Kinda slimy, sticks to everything.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, the common name that all us folks not in SA have for the plant is "elephant bush," however, the local people in SA have named it "tortoise food."

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I just did a google image search for portulacaria afra. Much to my surprise we had tons of that growing at my childhood home. I would readily eat the leaves. They had a sour taste and the only side affect seems that I grew up to have an affinity for tortoises.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Cowboy_Ken said:
I just did a google image search for portulacaria afra. Much to my surprise we had tons of that growing at my childhood home. I would readily eat the leaves. They had a sour taste and the only side affect seems that I grew up to have an affinity for tortoises.

Ha ha ha!!!!

ismail

5 Year Member
Moozilion said:
Cowboy_Ken said:

Ha ha ha!!!!

So what will be the final judgement be? should i feed it to my greeks? will they benefit from them? (or they'll grow big as elephants! :))

cheers to all!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Portulacaria afra. I feed it to my sulcatas and leopards. They don't go crazy for it, but they will eat it if they are hungry. Should be fine once in a while for a greek.

The translation from the swahili common name for this plant to english is "tortoise food".

redbeef

5 Year Member
Cowboy_Ken said:

lol :D

Status
Not open for further replies.