Can't stop me!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
No problem. Today is a "work on my house day" tomorrow I will continue on tortoise work. That's if it doesn't rain.

Quick question: Are you worry they'll go hide or start digging under the ramp? If they hide under the ramp, you will allow them to stay under the ramp over night without worrying the night visitor? And they will dig to next yard (foundation of the house may not allow them to dig under the house)?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Quick question: Are you worry they'll go hide or start digging under the ramp? If they hide under the ramp, you will allow them to stay under the ramp over night without worrying the night visitor? And they will dig to next yard (foundation of the house may not allow them to dig under the house)?
That will be closed off. They already hang out under there. Manouria don't dig. Also the skirting is about an inch into the ground. Also will be adding 4-6" of leaves and mulch to the entire enclosure.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
That will be closed off. They already hang out under there. Manouria don't dig. Also the skirting is about an inch into the ground. Also will be adding 4-6" of leaves and mulch to the entire enclosure.
Thank you for your reply.

Sure is a paradise compare to my yard! !!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Muahahaha. Let the spring craziness begin again.
Nothing like a couple hundred timbers. Time to start making more pens.
View attachment 125877
Yes! ! Yes! ! !Yes ! ! ! ! !

Let the spring craziness begin again.! ! ! ! ! ! ! Waiting for your update for the construction of your new pen! ! ! !

WOOHOO ! ! ! ! ! !

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Oh man, I just keep getting more and more envious! XD I love the wood you chose for the walls -- pine? I should be adding "chicken wire" walls and a roof to my outdoor tortoise enclosure around a wooden posts base. Hopefully that will keep out hawks and won't restrict the height growth of any shrubs I add. Of course, mine is only 98 square feet for one Russian, so you win! :p

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Oh man, I just keep getting more and more envious! XD I love the wood you chose for the walls -- pine? I should be adding "chicken wire" walls and a roof to my outdoor tortoise enclosure around a wooden posts base. Hopefully that will keep out hawks and won't restrict the height growth of any shrubs I add. Of course, mine is only 98 square feet for one Russian, so you win! :p
Hehe. Yes that is pine, pressure treated 5/4 (1 1/4") thick deck planks. It's more expensive than traditional 1x6 pressuretreated because A. It's thicker, and B. It's routed on the sides. For reason of walking on a deck. Comes out to around 6 bucks for an 8' board. But being Texas the 1x6 or any 1x board will wrap bad even screwed in numerous support locations.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
But being Texas the 1x6 or any 1x board will wrap bad even screwed in numerous support locations.
Did you mean "warp"? I worry about that too. Is there any fear that chemicals from the treated lumber can seep into the soil though?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Did you mean "warp"? I worry about that too. Is there any fear that chemicals from the treated lumber can seep into the soil though?
Ah yes I meant warp. Autocorrect strikes again. No not really on the leeching. Never had any issues. But usually when this wood is used we layer the soil with quite a bit of mulch and new substrates. But now days the chemicals used on pressure treated is a lot safer than many years ago.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Sure is nice ! ! ! ! ! ! Nice indeed! ! ! !