Car accident victim

LadyV

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Winslow AZ
the site is not letting me post and I have tried a couple of time but now it is a real emergency and i need help. PLEASE IF IT WILL ET YOU POST IT POST FOR ME...IT WOULDN'T EVEN LET ME SEND A CONTACT FORM My husband is with rescue and recovery. there was a fatal accident and a Russian Tort was found in the car...I guess it got thrown around a bit...hubby is bringing it home, I believe there is some blood on it, but nt sure if it from the deceased or the tort....hubby said it didn't look well. I have a box ready with bedding, the same Bella uses...the kind that expands when wet. I know I need to access the situation when they get here and see if the shell is cracked anywhere...if it is, what do I do?...Should I soak it in warm water, try to feed it....I live in the tiniest of towns but i have a vet I love which we will take this baby in tomorrow...any immediate "what should I do" for over night would be greatly appreciated. Ive never had to take Bella to a vet hubby just called....shell is split....what can I do. OVER NIGHT TILL I CAN GET TO THE VET TOMORROW

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Not my area of expertise: maybe someone else is still awake. If the shell is split or there are any open wounds , do not put the tortoise on coconut coir or anything that can get into the wound. Keep it in as sterile an environment as possible. You can use paper towels or cloth towels and add done moisture there.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
When the tortoise gets there, take some pictures and post them here. Eventually a moderator will come along and make this into a separate thread.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I would use paper towels under the animal. Wipe it off, but no soaking. Keep it warm. Pictures will help with ideas.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
the site is not letting me post and I have tried a couple of time but now it is a real emergency and i need help. PLEASE IF IT WILL ET YOU POST IT POST FOR ME...IT WOULDN'T EVEN LET ME SEND A CONTACT FORM My husband is with rescue and recovery. there was a fatal accident and a Russian Tort was found in the car...I guess it got thrown around a bit...hubby is bringing it home, I believe there is some blood on it, but nt sure if it from the deceased or the tort....hubby said it didn't look well. I have a box ready with bedding, the same Bella uses...the kind that expands when wet. I know I need to access the situation when they get here and see if the shell is cracked anywhere...if it is, what do I do?...Should I soak it in warm water, try to feed it....I live in the tiniest of towns but i have a vet I love which we will take this baby in tomorrow...any immediate "what should I do" for over night would be greatly appreciated. Ive never had to take Bella to a vet hubby just called....shell is split....what can I do. OVER NIGHT TILL I CAN GET TO THE VET TOMORROW

I would not soak straight away...not until you confirm that there are no through and through cracks in the shell. I would put the tort in a quiet, warm and low light to dark area....I would not fuss with the tortoise strait away either...you would be surprised at how much their shell can protect them ...also, the tort may have been in somewhat of a secure place before the violence....