Cat proofing a tank?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

aamdericco

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania, USA
I have two cats, one of whom does not care about the new tort at all, and one who is so interested! We have the tank on a high dresser, but the cat has been jumping on top of the dresser and looking in.

I can't find a screen cover that is the right dimensions, so I was wondering what I could do to cat-proof the tort's tank.

I know tanks are not desirable enclosures, but I can't build a table until we move, which will not be for two more years.

Please, I just need to know how to keep the cats away.

Thank you!

LupusCantus

5 Year Member
You can put something on the dress that keeps them from jumping on it. You can put a lots of stuff on the dresser, put something big like a huge stuff animal, or put citrus scented stuff. This is how I keep my cats from jumping on my night table. My night table have a lot of stuff that is breakable.

Of course my cats are scared of almost anything like a stuff animal that is bigger than them or anything that moves...

(Sorry I don't have a tortoise yet, but I do have two cats that likes to jump on things they shouldn't.)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/866803233/chicken_wire_home_depot.html

You can purchase a roll of this and fold/shape it to the size of your enclosure top and it will still allow your uv lights to work properly....you can also get a little spray bottle and put the spray on stream and when your cat approaches that area at all you can give her a spritz---will not harm your cat at all :D

aamdericco

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania, USA
ascott said:
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/866803233/chicken_wire_home_depot.html

You can purchase a roll of this and fold/shape it to the size of your enclosure top and it will still allow your uv lights to work properly....you can also get a little spray bottle and put the spray on stream and when your cat approaches that area at all you can give her a spritz---will not harm your cat at all :D

Thanks! I've been squirting her with a small squirt gun I got at the dollar store. She's so mischievous!
She's never tried to harm the tort, but I don't trust her!

I will definitely try this!

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
I had to cat proof both indoors and out because otherwise the cat thinks the mixture of sand and coir makes a wonderful litter box. ew! No other cat of mine ever thought so. The Winter Palace is covered with hardware cloth stapled to wooden frames. Another habitat uses sections of those wire cube shelves lashed together with zip ties.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Also, cats don't like tin foil. I use it to keep my cat off my dining chairs. If there is a way you can put tin foil where he goes to get up on the dresser, this may keep him away.

Status
Not open for further replies.